Flood

ARENA Flood A4

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Sunset - Before the night falls

Yep, I made it back somehow!

Sunset is a semi-return to my old design of Arena maps, very compact. Though I've also decided to include the multiple path design of most other Arena maps, resulting in a pretty dense map with a bit of a learning curve to it.

The point building starts locked, making players battle around the outside of the map, but when 60 seconds are up, the point building and a flank route below it all open up, leading to a tangle of pathways around.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Well, that was a much better test than I expected. Regardless I have a name to change, and changes to name.

Changelog:

- Changed the name from Sunset to Flood
- Changed the theme from Alpine to Stormy Alpine
- Added a barrier to the high platform connecting the side buildings to the point building
- Changed the side building's lower entrance to a more interesting stair to platform design
- Added cover to the side building balcony
- Added ammo by the porch building
- Added Spectator Cameras
- Added signage too and around the point
- Small detailing around the map

Read the rest of this update entry...

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
New version of Flood, this one focuses on the maps pacing a bit.

Changelog:

- Moved Spawns back, and added a new room that splits teams towards the two halves of the map.
- Added a connector between the side building and the health kit lane
- Displacements for the ground
- Moved ammo kit in the sidebuilding to the left wall
- Changed the outcrop on the sidebuilding to be taller

Read the rest of this update entry...

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Loved this map, was a ton of fun!
Simple but effective~
I think the CP room is quite small and cramped for the finale compared to other arena maps, however the rest of the map flows so well that maybe altering the size of the mid building isn't worth it.

Also, the lower route feels like a bit of wasted opportunity since it's so small and doesn't give much of a tempting option once it's open other than getting you from one end of the map to the other at a similar rate to the other routes (I assume the ammo pack is to help with stocking up to take on players on the point but doesn't feel like it does too much).

This is partly why I think a grate would be a good idea, as it would be an interesting way for sneaky players to gather information on what they'll be going up against (which is one of the unique situations in Arena, when the point's unlocked, both remaining teams are separated and there's a tension where they haven't met. Always cool to play with this).

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Loved this map, was a ton of fun!
Simple but effective~
I think the CP room is quite small and cramped for the finale compared to other arena maps, however the rest of the map flows so well that maybe altering the size of the mid building isn't worth it.

Also, the lower route feels like a bit of wasted opportunity since it's so small and doesn't give much of a tempting option once it's open other than getting you from one end of the map to the other at a similar rate to the other routes (I assume the ammo pack is to help with stocking up to take on players on the point but doesn't feel like it does too much).

This is partly why I think a grate would be a good idea, as it would be an interesting way for sneaky players to gather information on what they'll be going up against (which is one of the unique situations in Arena, when the point's unlocked, both remaining teams are separated and there's a tension where they haven't met. Always cool to play with this).
Huh, I thought about adding a grate back in the first version, but i figured it would just make players taking the route easier to see and counter. I never really thought about the people on the bottom using it, I like your idea.

As for mid, I agree that its a bit small, though making it any bigger would really disrupt the pacing of the map. Sightlines would start to get a bit too extreme.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Keep in mind that it'd be harder to see down into the tunnel because it's quite dark. Maybe making several small seperated grates could let sneaking players peer up safely from angles without getting spotted?