Excess

Excess pa004

socktopus

L1: Registered
Dec 10, 2008
Hello everyone, I've been a member of tf2maps for awhile now, but I rarely have the free time to actually map anything! I had some spare hours the last couple weeks though and managed to bang this together. My friends had fun with it and encouraged me to post the alpha, so I hope you all enjoy it as well. Any criticism and comments are, of course, appreciated. Thanks!

pl_excess
by Josh Wu
An epic struggle over the world's most precious natural resource --- hats.

Known issues/To-do:
-finish detailing

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I like the idea of a really small, "arena" based PL map, this looks like a lot of fun! But it looks like RED won't really have any other defendable positions than on the top of their building right by the end cap, I think it might be a good idea to add some more buildings and stuff to the lower area as well.

Omnomnick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 16, 2009
This looks great. I like the river, as long as it isn't a really long death pit and you can actually get out at some point.

oliethefolie

Jul 15, 2010
I had a quick run around and I liked it. But I think you should change the death water to something else like a pit to make it's intentions clearer as I thought you could swim in it when I first saw it. I also thought that I could walk on those barrells and jump around on them.
As well as that, change the timers to 5 minutes each MAX as 10 minutes is way to long for such a short track.
But in general map design. Big thumbs up!

Aug 10, 2009
While the detailing is rather nice I can see the gameplay getting very repetitive very quickly with such a small arena.

Even the most repetitive gameplay can be fun if it has an element of deathmatch in it. Case and point: Pipeline.

I had a quick run around and I liked it. But I think you should change the death water to something else like a pit to make it's intentions clearer as I thought you could swim in it when I first saw it. I also thought that I could walk on those barrells and jump around on them.
As well as that, change the timers to 5 minutes each MAX as 10 minutes is way to long for such a short track.
But in general map design. Big thumbs up!

For the death water I would suggest Voids toxic waste texture (it's in the downloads section)

Sep 1, 2009

socktopus

Dec 10, 2008
thank you guys so much for all the feedback so far! i'll add some signs and move the barrels further from shore so it's a bit more clear that the water will kill you, and i'll definitely have to have a look at that toxic waste texture. there's also a little more in the way of structures in the more recent builds.

the current round duration timers are placeholders, i forgot to mention it in the notes.

Last edited:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Looks very nice, if not on the small side. The ramp going up might also be a bit thin side so maybe make that a bit bigger plus red's hight advantage seems a bit extreme. Apart from that, looks very good. Maybe It could have more stages somehow?

socktopus

Dec 10, 2008
I didn't think the map was progressed far enough for a gameday just yet; I'll work on some of the timers though and see about next week! I'm glad people are excited to test it!

Last edited:

Dain

L3: Member
Oct 21, 2009
The map was horribly skewed to favour RED winning. It was basically just a sniper- and airblast-fest. Blue had no option other than to just push on up a steep rollback hill with very little breathing room while Red snipers picked them off at leisure, and pyros pushing them all off the ramp and/or into the water.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
There was really no contest, it's basically a giant sightline fest. I dont use sniper, but felt obliged to abuse him on this map. Blue definitely needs some cover, or something. Instead of one giant area, maybe split it into two, so Red has 2 defensible areas, and the split can make it a bit more fair for blue?

Dain

Oct 21, 2009
Also having a single playerstart entity in each spawn room is alarmingly bad practice.

socktopus

Dec 10, 2008
thanks for the feedback so far! my intent with gameday was mostly to test flow, so i was not too concerned with spawn timers (i'm aware that not having them results in a huge imbalance in favor of red). i'm sorry this didn't result in a very enjoyable play experience, i'll be sure to put them back in for the next version!

i know about the single spawn points as well, i didn't think it would impact gameplay for an alpha so there's just the one in each spawn. i'll add the correct number in the next public version as well to make it more aesthetically appealing.

a few notable differences between this and the current internal testing version:
-added another route into red base that branches off the lower tunnel
-added a fairly large structure to the lake-side top of red base
-large health/large ammo pickup in red base changed to medium health/medium ammo
-slightly increased the speed the train goes up ramps

Dain

Oct 21, 2009
Make it so that the cart doesn't roll back instantly when left unattended on the slopes. It's supremely frustrating.

socktopus

Dec 10, 2008
updated to public alpha 3. will post changlelog later, in a bit of a rush at the moment.

socktopus

Dec 10, 2008
Public Alpha 3/Internal Alpha 8 (9/2/2010):
-enlarged some doorways to promote traffic
-added a third route into the red base
-added another building to the red base
-blocked some additional sightlines
-added, moved, and resized several ammo and health pickups
-slightly increased the cart's movement speed up hills
-added setup time
-added respawn time