Error everytime I try to run my map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by That's the plan, Dec 24, 2018.

1. That's the plan

That's the plan L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Every time that I try to run one of my maps, I get this error in hammer: ("The command failed. Windows reported the error: "The system cannot find the file specified" Would you like to continue?") And when I try and run the map, it never loads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know that it's a day before Christmas, so sorry to bother anyone reading.

2. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    Here is the compile log for reference:

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Aug 2 2018)
    4 threads
    materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.vmf
    Brush 39362: FloatPlane: bad normal
    Side 4
    Texture: TOOLS/TOOLSNODRAW

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Aug 2 2018)
    4 threads
    reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 18 2018)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
    4 threads
    [Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    unknown light specifier type - lights

[56 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.bsp
    Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.bsp

** Executing...
    ** Command: Copy File
    ** Parameters: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\koth_waterfront_todayy.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\koth_waterfront_todayy.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
    "The system cannot find the file specified."

3. Lain

aa Lain heath ledger with some dreads

Positive Ratings:
    1. Close every single program except for Hammer
    2. Alt-P, check for invalid brushes. Fix them.
    3. Change the file name of your map.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy Probably enjoys hydro too much

Positive Ratings:
    this looks to be the issue:
    `Brush 39362: FloatPlane: bad normal
    Side 4
    Texture: TOOLS/TOOLSNODRAW`

5. Lain

aa Lain heath ledger with some dreads

Positive Ratings:
    In the future you can use Interlopers error listing to search your compile log for errors and print them out in plain English for you.
    It's much easier than scouring through the errors and hoping you know how to read that specific error.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ⁽ᴵᴰᴳ⁾CaptainRussia94

⁽ᴵᴰᴳ⁾CaptainRussia94 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I first ran into this error when I tried shearing a clip brush
    try running your map with clip brushes removed, and see if that helps

7. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    vbsp chokes. The error is because hammer is too stupid to check if vbsp did it's job properly without manually being told how.

8. ⁽ᴵᴰᴳ⁾CaptainRussia94

⁽ᴵᴰᴳ⁾CaptainRussia94 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Try disabling visgroups, and use the cordon tool to locate the problem

9. That's the plan

Positive Ratings:
    The issue has been fixed, thanks to everyone who responded!