Engine Hunk Overflow

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Unicake, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Unicake

Unicake L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm retexturing my map to a winter theme and I am getting "Engine Hunk Overflow" error when I try to launch the map.
    I know the command to fix it and join the server so don't post it here .

I'm asking for a direct fix that removes the error completely for the map, because I couldn't find what causes this.

In the map I used:
    -Displacements
    -func_dustclouds
    -point_lights

2. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    I believe this error is related to lightmap scale? Try lowering the scale on brushes on which you don't need it so high

3. Unicake

Positive Ratings:
    Hm, I think it has to do with this then
    [​IMG]
    4 light sources shining at 4 weirdly shaped brushes and they were all 16 Lightmap scale

I will reduce them to 5. if anyone has good ideas how many it should be then post below
    I will respond later after compiling and let you know if it fixed the problem

4. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    The number is related to luxel density iirc. Keep it to a power of two, and raise it to lower the scale - 16 is larger than 32

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Unicake

Positive Ratings:
    Error still appears after lowering the LMS to 32. Either there is more surfaces I need to lower or maybe it's a problem with a displacement or something else.

I will disable the point_lights pointing at the brushes to see if that fixes it, If that doesn't fix it, it's definitely a problem with a displacement perhaps

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  6. Unicake

Positive Ratings:
    Error got fixed after removing certain lights.