Egypt textures?

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Having the hieroglyphs on it creates a thematic clash. Egypt doesn't have arches like that and the Egyptian language isn't anywhere else. Any other accent texture and it would be fine since the rest is generic, but those just make the whole thing seem "off" and less-than-optimal.
Is fitting rocket pads and computer labs into a 1920s farming installation a thematic clash? No, it's TF2. I like to think than instead of a "less-than-optimal thematically clashing" building, I built an arch that's simply out of time. This is debatable, of course, but in my opinion it's all about suspension of disbelief.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah, no doubt. Owned? get serious.

I agree that Apom's arch looks VERY nice. And I do agree that the brick tex can be useful for other stuff, but I said in my last post that I hadn't actually gone into Hammer to look at the egypt stuff specifically.

An arch like that is perfect for a roman themed map (Zig also has some nice roman type stuff) but with the inclusion of the hyroglyphic trim I have to agree with Boojum, it clashes themes. Another trim (easy enough) would make it more suited to roman arch. In fact I'd say for a good roman setting the entire thing would need retexed in more of a white limestone style.

The egypt tex do lend themselves to some good middle eastern themed maps though. More would probably be needed but they could probably work well for a turkish map. Kindof a cross between egypt and the taj mahal sniper map.

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
Why are you guys insisting a theme must be 100% realistic in TF2? Are you playing the same game I am?

If it looks good, has that old-style cartoony feel (which egypt does), and plays well then who cares if egyptian hieroglyphs are "appropriate" for the era. The famous quake map "the longest yard" (q3dm17) wasn't supposed to fit into the gothic "theme" of quake yet it became one of the most recognizable maps in all of gaming.

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Well, quite simply - I like any new textures. I'd also rather some idiot make a bad map with egypt textures than with orange ones.

As to whether the textures fit:
They seem the right art style.
Egypt existed into the 40s and in unless I'm mistaken was being pillaged by Indiana Jones types during that time, so it even makes sense RED and BLU would be fighting there.

In the end, the pieces that fit into the mappers ideas will be used, or he'll have some new ones made. I do like the bricks though.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Anyone else tired of everyone and their grandma complaining that custom textures don't fit the art style if they are not recolors?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Anyone else tired of everyone and their grandma complaining that custom textures don't fit the art style if they are not recolors?

Well to be honest a lot don't. It is very tricky to get textures to match the painterly feel of tf2 well, the easiest way to do it is to start with an official one.
So its not that recolours are the only ones not being complained about (there are a lot of bad recolours around) its just 90% of the brand new textures don't fit well.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008

I read back throught the whole thread. It was only Snipergen who said they didn't 'fit' TF2. Boojum and myself were discussing the fact they the theme was slightly limited. I personally think the textures and objects used in Egypt fit in with the TF2 style very well.

I never insisted that ANY map has too be 100% realistic to fit. I simply made the point that if you wanted to make good roman architecture like that arch then a white limestone tex would be more fitting.

Any mapper can do whatever they want, hell you can make a rainbow koth map if you want.
I think some people here read too much into some posts and don't read some posts enough. Instead of reading through the thread they read one post and jump to conclusions.
The point of forums, in this case a mapping forum, is to discuss mapping. What is good for what, how to do things, how to make maps better, etc... Instead of getting all bent out of shape over someones comment take it with a grain of salt.
Maybe you'lll learn something.:p

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Are you sure forums aren't for arguing?

I mean...somewhere out there someone on the internet is wrong...