Doomsday Cannon "Henrietta" (ctf_panamint)

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Does it have a LOD? It looks there like that's quite a lot of polys.

It does not. Those require an exceptional amount of work, as I've found no shortcut to doing so.

But if you're curious, the poly count is 3119 triangles. Which is really not very many--to put into comparison, The Heavy Weapons Guy has 4728 triangles--not including whatever is on his hands, fists or KGB. Even then, the Medic has 8288 triangles.

Granted, the player models all have LOD models, meaning the polycount is reduced significantly, but I don't believe this model will put a terrible strain on anyone's GPU.

more screens fyi

wireframe (in triangles)
wireframe1.jpg

collision model (model can be used as a gameplay device!)
wireframe2.jpg

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
hey BigRexy, why are you upset, or angry so fast, when someone posts critique on your work or even ask a question about your workflow ? you often sound a bit harsh and impolite when someone tries to give you constructive feedback :(
i mean, in the end it's nothing personal or anything, people are just trying to help you make your art as good as possible. there's always room to improve, so why not go for it ?
i mean, if you just want people to say how awesome everything you do is, you may reconsider stuff a bit ?
i don't know, i'm just a harmony guy when it comes to forums and i didn't even dare to post, after you answered my reply in your last thread :(

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
It does not. Those require an exceptional amount of work, as I've found no shortcut to doing so.

From what I understand your using max? Is there no reduce polygon tool like they have in Maya? id be surprised if there wasn't. Id imagine since they are from the same company that some of the tools would be shared. :\

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
hey BigRexy, why are you upset, or angry so fast, when someone posts critique on your work or even ask a question about your workflow ? you often sound a bit harsh and impolite when someone tries to give you constructive feedback :(
i mean, in the end it's nothing personal or anything, people are just trying to help you make your art as good as possible. there's always room to improve, so why not go for it ?
i mean, if you just want people to say how awesome everything you do is, you may reconsider stuff a bit ?
i don't know, i'm just a harmony guy when it comes to forums and i didn't even dare to post, after you answered my reply in your last thread :(

Do I sound upset? I don't mean to. Then again, it's impossible to detect vocal inflections just by reading text. I'm a very lax guy who takes his work seriously.

It might also be due to the fact that in real life I'm a working artist, and I receive criticism of all kinds (good, bad, some neutral) on a daily basis and I'm very good at receiving and interpreting it. I talk the facts and get on with things. I don't believe myself to a hardened or bitter person--negative criticism does nothing to my self esteem--but I suppose those reading into things would believe me to represent those things.

I don't think I've been mean or anything of the sort at all in this thread. If you're getting negative vibes from reading my posts, I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try imagining positive vocal inflections while reading my posts?

How about a LOLCAT to smooth things over?

funny-pictures-fighting-cats-constr.jpg

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
From what I understand your using max? Is there no reduce polygon tool like they have in Maya? id be surprised if there wasn't. Id imagine since they are from the same company that some of the tools would be shared. :\

It's quite possible. I'm using lightwave, and while it's a very handy tool for the start to finish work, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that other higher-end softwares do. I would bet that 3DS have a reduce poly tool--I'll have to check it out!

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Meet the level 10 Sentry...

I like this. I like it alot. Odd choice of name for a laser cannon, though.

Don

L2: Junior Member
Jun 3, 2009
This cannon, is a very nice cannon! I love it, seriously fits with spytech!

Meet the level 10 Sentry...

I like this. I like it alot. Odd choice of name for a laser cannon, though.

Henrietta? It's Natascha's sister! :O

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Just BTW, I came across this page just now and something like "Poly Reducer" in Blender might be applicable.

That's great! Lightwave does have poly reducing, but it sometimes deletes normals, and when it doesn't, it usually messes up the UV mesh...it's not pretty.