DOM_Gripped

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah but KOTH lasts about 6 minutes tops and is a lot closer to this than Payload =P

Perhaps you're right. I think with the control points it should be quicker. If it's too slow that can be easily changed.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Alpha 2 release:

A2 CHANGES/FIXES:
-Teams no longer swap on round end
-Control points in each team's building double enemy scoring if they have the control point captured
-HUD changed to not include 'playing to' text

Just a gameplay fix, but an important one. Please break it for me :D

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
How about if the map were divided into different scoring zones, and if you hold the flag way back in your base, you would score points a lot more slowly. But as you get closer to the enemy base you generate points more quickly, with the trade off being that it's more vulnerable of course.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
How about if the map were divided into different scoring zones, and if you hold the flag way back in your base, you would score points a lot more slowly. But as you get closer to the enemy base you generate points more quickly, with the trade off being that it's more vulnerable of course.

This sounds really cool, you should give this a try if its technically possible :)

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007

I like that idea, though I tried the zones and found it difficult to accomplish since there isn't a filter that I could find for a player that's holding the flag.

I think the control points that accelerate the scoring are a good alternative. If there was some way to identify the flag carrier via entities I haven't found it yet... been looking for a "holding" option on the triggers and things but it doesn't seem to exist.

I also though it might be possible on flag pickup to grab the player's name and activate a trigger based on a filter_name entity, but I have not had success finding that either :I

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
func_flag_alert fires an output when the flag carrier is in it. Can also be set to be team-specific.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
func_flag_alert fires an output when the flag carrier is in it. Can also be set to be team-specific.

Thanks for that.

Still, I think I like the control point idea more... though I need to see how it plays. If the CP's are largely ignored then I may switch to zones where holding the flag in enemy space will grant faster scoring.

EDIT: Depending on what is possible when I experiment, Roden's idea might be very interesting, moreso than just the control points. Layered zones that increase scoring based on the depth you are in your base or the enemy base could be fun, though it seems unreliable in telling how fast your score is actually going to go up.

Last edited:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
dom_gripped alpha 3 release:
http://vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_dom_gripped/

A3 CHANGES/FIXES:
-Removed side buildings entirely to stop camping
-Domination point speed is at 1 every 4 seconds instead of 1 every 6, the dominator control points bring it down to 2 seconds
-Time to capture dominator control point reduced