CP dom_canalzone2

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Dom_canalzone2 is a re-envisioning of Canalzone for TF2. Unlike version 1, this map diverges from its 90's roots and attempts to meld it to a more TF2-like play environment. It uses a new and refined game mode called Domination. In this mode, players capture control points like other TF2 maps, but as they do this they score more domination points over time (as shown as a percentage score on the HUD). Whichever team reaches 100% domination first wins the round. Teams can also win by capturing and holding all 6 control points for 20 seconds.

QWTF's Canalzone was a QuakeWorld Team Fortress map with 8 control points. Players had to bring flags to the CP's and as this happened the team's overall score increased based on the number of points obtained.

---

I have been playtesting this with the UGC folks. They played the original dom_canalzone in Highlander during the Summer, so this is largely a result of their findings and feedback.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
detailing looks baller and 6 cp's seems much better than 8. will def try to give domination another shot.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I like these changes, those removed points always felt a bit extraneous. Left some feedback for you in the album below.

http://imgur.com/a/bsKlN

Thanks. Some good stuff in there. You know, I knew about the water line but I have no idea why it's there. It has no reason to be and there's nothing that would create that effect.

The elevator has had a lot of changes throughout the betas. I think the area it brings you to is fun to play. It also gets you there fast. I'm not sure of a suitable alternative to it. It used to be where you couldn't have multiple people on it, but the self-triggered version is a lot better. It's at the point where the elevator can't really be abused (or so I believe), so I'm not sure it's a huge issue.

Indeed the fountain is a HL2 model. I try to avoid those, but I think it's somewhat appropriate. I'd love to have it reskinned to fit TF2 closer. However, as an alternative I may build my own fountain with brushwork. I've got no skill for modeling. I like the fact that you can cap it from above as it adds an interesting element, and if the center of the fountain goes away then being able to cap from above doesn't make sense.

rental

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2012
I think b4 is the best one yet, and I think you've gone above and beyond what most of us on my team thought you would do with this round of updates.
Terrific stuff. This is a fantastic tf2 map.

You said the hallway from fountain to boathouse was the harshest fps spot.. would changing that up and down staircase in that long hall into ramps help ?

Also, my idea of the day was to add windows from Boathoase CP so that you could see out into the canal (red spawn) area, just like you added to the Balcony in the last update.

I think every minute you spend crafting this thing is making it better. What you did with this update.. making the boathouse ALIVE.. is really great, and will help draw people over to, what I considered, the "bastard point". Good stuff.

rental

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2012
oh and i think your sign for the fountain needs to change since there is actually a fountain there.
also.. water/"spray" effect on the fountain?"

Limeaide

L2: Junior Member
Jul 26, 2009
Indeed the fountain is a HL2 model. I try to avoid those, but I think it's somewhat appropriate. I'd love to have it reskinned to fit TF2 closer. However, as an alternative I may build my own fountain with brushwork. I've got no skill for modeling. I like the fact that you can cap it from above as it adds an interesting element, and if the center of the fountain goes away then being able to cap from above doesn't make sense.

Maybe you should ask someone in the request area? I wouldn't recommend brushwork.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Maybe you should ask someone in the request area? I wouldn't recommend brushwork.

I'm going to reskin it first and then do my own clipping for it. If it isn't right after I may do that. It's basically the shape I want, but it's all nasty HL2-ized.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
This is totally something that I want.

Strange, though, can't seem to start up a local server with it to run around, it just doesn't show up in the menus. The classic, non-2 version does.

EDIT: Huh, weird. Apparently the version I un-zipped didn't have the .bsp file extension, it was just "dom_canalzone2_b4" with no extension.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
This is totally something that I want.

Strange, though, can't seem to start up a local server with it to run around, it just doesn't show up in the menus. The classic, non-2 version does.

EDIT: Huh, weird. Apparently the version I un-zipped didn't have the .bsp file extension, it was just "dom_canalzone2_b4" with no extension.

Bizarre! I'll get that fixed if it's on my end.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, for some reason when you zip a single file into a .bz2, it can only store the file's extension in its own filename, e.g. cp_whatever.bsp.bz2. So trying to change that to just cp_whatever.bz2 removes that.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, for some reason when you zip a single file into a .bz2, it can only store the file's extension in its own filename, e.g. cp_whatever.bsp.bz2. So trying to change that to just cp_whatever.bz2 removes that.

I assumed that was it. I'll get the link updated.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Anyone else having a problem with servers crashing when they try to switch to it?

EDIT: Ignore me, I re-uploaded it and it's working fine now.

Last edited:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Not that it matters much now since it's been 2.5 years, but I consider the b4 version of this map "final". Let it be known that it was my favorite.