Decker

Decker rc1

Vig

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2009
Tapp, I'll take that as a complement ya thief! ha! Thanks =P

Ulf, yep there are a handful of misc little bugs like that, they're left over bugs from flipping the blue base. Just need to flip the props again or add $nocull to the vmt's...

Abs, Heh yea well you probably want to use another program besides pakrat to rip the models out. I will be releasing the models officially as a separate pack when the map releases. If you do succeed in getting the models out I ask that you not use them in any released maps until I release this one.

The map plays fine un-edited, you might want to re-download it before resuming your efforts =P

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
This map was great fun for gameday. A few things were bugging me, though. For one, the resupply leading down to the intelligence is fairly exposed and isn't clear where the barrier is. I tried to set up a sentry there and was unsure as to why I couldn't. Also, there are a lot of signs pointing to the intelligence. It got very confusing trying to learn the map with so many paths that were very unclear as to how far they were from the intelligence. It is a little difficult to tell where you're going without them, but I feel there are just too many.

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
That drove a few people nuts. I moved the boundary to the bottom of the stairs, fixed a few textures, swapped out the last few remaining blue props and textures that where still in the red base. Recompiled with per vertex lighting on props, and added a bunch of misc details as well as fixing a few clipping issues.

Just a few more props to create and some detail to add and I think it's ready for a final release.

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
Just when you thought it was dead... Its time to dust this off and get crackin again. I had a few other projects that overtook this one but I'm back on it and oh so close to wrapping it up...

Easing back into it with a texture for some older props
DiveSuit02.jpg

ElectricalBoxA.jpg

FishSticks00.jpg

A lot of lighting and detail tweaks
ctf_deckerWIP_0003.jpg

ctf_deckerWIP_0011.jpg

ctf_deckerWIP_0017.jpg

ctf_deckerWIP_0002.jpg

ctf_deckerWIP_0015.jpg

ctf_deckerWIP_0014.jpg

More screens: http://www.vigville.com/wip/ctf_decker/

I'm not sure how it will look on other monitors? I darkened up quite a few areas.

Whats left?
I'm calling the blue base finished unless someone reports some wonkiness or has a great suggestion. Which leaves:
- Lighting in the red base
- Middle bridge prop and materials
- Misc fish related props (stacks of cans, pallets of fish, nets)
- Misc farm related props placed

I'll post a download link after I get home from work.

I'll also look into getting it up on a few servers and post dates and times when I know more.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i really really dig all the custom props you made for the map, however i absolutely don't like the blueish lighting on the blue side - i mean it scream everything's but discreet, if you know what i mean. i think you should make it a lot more subtle - a lot !
but hats off for all your extra hard work on the custom stuff :)

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
Well... all the lights are the default color I only changed the fall off values. Maybe the wall textures are too blue and I should tone them down?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
well, as far as i can tell, the wall,s floors and ceilings are all in a blue shade range which makes it that much "into the face blue".
while this is only the fastest screen i found from hydro it kinda shows what i mean.
http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/f/f5/Hydro_base_blue.jpg

it has lots of blues but not from top to bottom walls, just some minor cuts here and there in your map will really sell this - i mean you already have the blue arrows, a half-heigt blue striped texture on the walls would be just about enough to show "right here, is where blue's home is".
it's totally clear what you tried to do - the total distinction between the two groups i just think with a little subtle tone in it - this will be really epic.

and i hope this doesn't sound too harsh, lately i've found myself struggling with the way my crits sound - guess this is me fighting with the language barrier. so don't be offended if i sound to sour :D

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's not supposed to be discreet. It's an aircraft carrier, not a secret farm base.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
it's not the stuff itself, that i mean to be discreet - it's the colors.
a tad more like here:
http://acumen-design.de/temp/decker_blue.jpg

note: this it not how i'd want it to look like. just a bit more diversity in texture color for the walls and the floor would be good, in my opinion.

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
Thanks guys

Acumen, not harsh at all. Some people might be too sensitive to something they are deeply connected to, it happens... I'm pretty dead inside when it comes to getting all worked up about crits, besides they're almost always helpful.

Hopefully I won't sound too defensive when I explain why.

I see what you're talking about, I'll probably desaturate the maintenance area walls a bit it is coming off a bit blue, I originally wanted it a cool military gray color and it might have gotten away from that. Blue walls, floor and ceiling might be overkill, heh.

I have that color scheme in your paint over in the upper "civilized levels" which I haven't taken pics of yet... opps. I wanted the maintenance areas to look very undecorated and more utilitarian so I went with the same metal I used on the outside. Also trying to keep the number of custom textures to a min for ease of download...

Thanks for the crits they're really helpful!

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
This is looking truly exceptional. Excellent work. :)

One minor nitpick: in this image, the phrase should be "shoddy workmanship" rather than "shotty workmanship." Unless you were going for a pun of course.

Kep

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
I'll go with what makes me look clever instead of a dumbass. :facepalm:

Thanks for catching that, I'll fix it =P

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
Ha! ok... fixed it and added some other game play related props along with some other misc details and bug fixes. I didn't adjust the blue base metal materials yet, but I'll get to it soon.

Last beta release so get out the nit picky critique finders and post anything and everything that bugs you!

Vig

Feb 14, 2009
I set up a dedicated server (IP: 67.183.52.83:27015) while I test the map this week. I'll leave the sever up until 1/08/10

You can connect and download the map automatically, without having to manually download and install anything.

Last edited:

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
Gave your server a visit and nabbed a few screenshots. EDIT: Oh yeah - we bumped into each other, didn't we?

First off - your props are sooooo daaaaaaamn gooooooooooooood. :O
You get so much mileage out of each one but none of them ever wind up feeling overused. Amazing!

Anyway - just a few things to note:

Unfinished model with no collisions (but you probably knew that)
ctf_decker_b160000.jpg

You can camp inside it:
ctf_decker_b160001.jpg

Is this how you wanted the hazard tape aligned? (same on blu side):
ctf_decker_b160002.jpg

This wall bracing prop seems misaligned (the others were all good):
ctf_decker_b160004.jpg

Sticking a bit out from the wall:
ctf_decker_b160003.jpg

Really awesome stuff - I would loooooooove to make use of your tugboat model. :)