Custom maps and servers.

Kantham

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2008
Hello, I am a new TF2 player from 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that most of the east servers doesn't seem to use much of the custom maps people are making. I see some nice uploaded maps on these forums, and never played them online. It's always the same things over and over again.

Most of the servers just run the retail levels, and if they run a custom map it's most probably Snowbridge or Surf_Pleasenotagain. Sounds like all the servers running custom levels are empty.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Hello, I am a new TF2 player from 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that most of the east servers doesn't seem to use much of the custom maps people are making. I see some nice uploaded maps on these forums, and never played them online. It's always the same things over and over again.

Most of the servers just run the retail levels, and if they run a custom map it's most probably Snowbridge or Surf_Pleasenotagain. Sounds like all the servers running custom levels are empty.

HI there.

The biggest reason is because the stanard maps came on a CD. IE. They are a HUGE file size but because everyone has it, it loads up no problem and quick.. Any desent custom map is pushing 8mb's+ and to have to download that from a server is REALLY rough =(

So while there are a few VERY good custom maps, its a pain for plays to have to download a very large file from a server, most people get impatiant and D/C =)

Kantham

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2008
8 MB really rough? I thought downloading 8 MB via redirect isn't an excuse to drop the idea of getting custom content. I thought of something else actually. Anyone sure gets over 300 KB/s via broadband, 8 MB is a really small file for what we have nowdays. I really wonder how far this is going to go.

Last edited:

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
My home server, www.myunreal.com Temp Server: 72.37.202.182:28015, has custom maps that we update weekly and have strict criteria. One of the maps Youme (from tf2maps.net) has done is on the server currently, which is great, cp_station.

However to keep the population up we do keep some stock maps. The server admin has found keeping some stock maps keeps the server flow higher.

The admin also use's pakrat to compress files for smaller/faster downloads as well.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You just have to have a little patience whilst searching, scribble down a list of all the maps you think look good then when you are playing run searches for servers with those maps, if you have a list bigger than 2 you are bound to find a server with a custom map that is [almost]full.

The myunreal map has been running cp_station for about 24 hours straight, most of the time completely empty :D (and for the record I'm from www.coltsplayground.net)

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
Yeah... most of us work during the day and play at night. We all jump on (about 10 or so at a time) around 6-8 with us on the server populates pretty fast and play until 1 AM.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
We in fact have our own custom server atm. But noone ever uses it, and interest in game days never garneres much entheusiasm. Somewhere in this forum is another 2-3 page thread about having a dedicated custom server. If you guys wanna really try and get this going, I'm totally down for it. But gonna need some help.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Problem is, nobody joins the server first...im gonna join the chat and see if people want to play on the server to look if it's possible to make them go there :)