Custom maps and servers.

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Kantham, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Kantham

Kantham L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, I am a new TF2 player from 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that most of the east servers doesn't seem to use much of the custom maps people are making. I see some nice uploaded maps on these forums, and never played them online. It's always the same things over and over again.

Most of the servers just run the retail levels, and if they run a custom map it's most probably Snowbridge or Surf_Pleasenotagain. Sounds like all the servers running custom levels are empty.

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:

HI there.

The biggest reason is because the stanard maps came on a CD. IE. They are a HUGE file size but because everyone has it, it loads up no problem and quick.. Any desent custom map is pushing 8mb's+ and to have to download that from a server is REALLY rough =(

So while there are a few VERY good custom maps, its a pain for plays to have to download a very large file from a server, most people get impatiant and D/C =)

3. Kantham

Kantham L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    8 MB really rough? I thought downloading 8 MB via redirect isn't an excuse to drop the idea of getting custom content. I thought of something else actually. Anyone sure gets over 300 KB/s via broadband, 8 MB is a really small file for what we have nowdays. I really wonder how far this is going to go.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    50 mb is the limit where players would hook off.

5. phatal

phatal L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    My home server, www.myunreal.com Temp Server: 72.37.202.182:28015, has custom maps that we update weekly and have strict criteria. One of the maps Youme (from tf2maps.net) has done is on the server currently, which is great, cp_station.

However to keep the population up we do keep some stock maps. The server admin has found keeping some stock maps keeps the server flow higher.

The admin also use's pakrat to compress files for smaller/faster downloads as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You just have to have a little patience whilst searching, scribble down a list of all the maps you think look good then when you are playing run searches for servers with those maps, if you have a list bigger than 2 you are bound to find a server with a custom map that is [almost]full.

The myunreal map has been running cp_station for about 24 hours straight, most of the time completely empty :D (and for the record I'm from www.coltsplayground.net)

7. phatal

phatal L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah... most of us work during the day and play at night. We all jump on (about 10 or so at a time) around 6-8 with us on the server populates pretty fast and play until 1 AM.

8. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    We in fact have our own custom server atm. But noone ever uses it, and interest in game days never garneres much entheusiasm. Somewhere in this forum is another 2-3 page thread about having a dedicated custom server. If you guys wanna really try and get this going, I'm totally down for it. But gonna need some help.

9. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Problem is, nobody joins the server first...im gonna join the chat and see if people want to play on the server to look if it's possible to make them go there :)

10. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    <3