CTF_Offtrack

What should the theme be?

• Alpine: Because no one can get enough hardwood... flooring...

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Egypt: Even the Egyptian Train Gods must be appeased

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Abandon Coal Mine: Eh. Why not?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Snowy Industrial Factory: I hurd u liek snow?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Industrial: Like Granary, Well, etc.

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Industrial or Snowy Industrial!

Egypt wouldn't make any sense with 3 trains, abandon coalmine would be pretty cool but map seems to have too many things that abandon places don't have (3 active trains, electrified water)
Alpine is overused and looking at fact you are pretty new to TF2 mapping, i have to say it would be really hard for you to make alpine entry that would stand out of the mass.

Snowy industrial would be best out of two industrial you have in vote, there is not many maps themed like that (Expect few artpass maps) and it would stand out of the mass.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
abandon coalmine would be pretty cool but map seems to have too many things that abandon places don't have (3 active trains, electrified water)

I've gone by plenty of abandon things while on trains, so I don't see how 3 active trainlines would make it "less abandoned"... Yes, the water is a little... odd... but, they had to electrify the mine shafts somehow! :p

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Well i would find it odd, maybe one train would pass by it some occasional times, but 3 trains going back and forth just seems illogical to me.
Then again it is TF2 and your map, so if you want use that as your theme, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

EDIT: You need enter this to next gameday. :)

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I'm going to have on more version released (possibly 1.5 versions) before I apply for gameday testing, I have looked at what is needed for gameday testing, but is there anything else I should know, stuff that might not be mentioned in the lists i've seen?

For the next version, which will be released within a couple days most-likely is just improved lighting, reworked spawn rooms to be anti-camp friendly, assorted train things... clipping, etc.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alpha Version 4 is no launched. When I get time this week I will be starting to do basic textureing... Most likely will be going with the snowy industrial theme.

I will be applying for playtesting this week asap. So, be on the lookout.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
ctf_offtrack_a40000.jpg

This sightline is still here.

ctf_offtrack_a40001.jpg

There is gap in your nobuild brush that allows me to build in blue spawn.

ctf_offtrack_a40002.jpg

Why these pipes are non solid, you are going to piss a lot of career soldiers. (I am one :sneaky2: )

ctf_offtrack_a40003.jpg

ctf_offtrack_a40004.jpg

Turn health kit into small one and ammo pack to medium one.

ctf_offtrack_a40005.jpg

Check your optimization, when standing in this corner it renders whole map.

Also, visit TF2M chat for good times and more feedback from others.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright... that sight light down the middle will be a little tough to break up, but I may have something in mind to fix it...

Idk why those pipes came out non-solid, I will make sure to make them solid or simulated solid somehow...

Also, how would I go about preventing the rendering of the whole map? Area Portals I assume? I kinda have an idea on how they work, but not really...

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Alright... that sight light down the middle will be a little tough to break up, but I may have something in mind to fix it...

Idk why those pipes came out non-solid, I will make sure to make them solid or simulated solid somehow...

Also, how would I go about preventing the rendering of the whole map? Area Portals I assume? I kinda have an idea on how they work, but not really...

http://www.nodraw.net/2009/12/optimization-in-source-a-practical-demonstration/
This article is optimization bible, if you need to know how handle optimization, check this out.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
http://www.nodraw.net/2009/12/optimization-in-source-a-practical-demonstration/
This article is optimization bible, if you need to know how handle optimization, check this out.

Thanks very much for this, I just re-released version a4 (as a4b) I am confused with the optimization stuff. It looks very simple, but when I put it in and look at it, it doesn't seem effective(?).

I added hint brushes to some basic areas. I will add more as I figure it out. :facepalm:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
k9gqe0.jpg

This is the type of theme I'm thinking of for the map, little more outdoor lights should do the trick...

This is just something I whipped up this morning, kinda to test how it looks, etc.

Red will be similiar, except with red brick.

Credit and Thanks to Void for the snow-blends.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
We tested it. The sightlines were quite huge :|

Also you can build in that water, make it nobuild zone.

Intel is also really easy to defend with sentry because both exits face the same wall.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008

Intel is also really easy to defend with sentry because both exits face the same wall.

Unless the water is a death pit/out of bounds, building in it should be allowed. That's how it is in all maps. I haven't played it, just pointing that out.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Whoa.

Hmmm, alright, I shall rework the intel room, it was on my list of things to do... I did want it playtested on Friday, but this will suffice.

Any tips for reducing the sightlines? I've been trying to do cut it down as much as possible, but, I don't want to make the map too cluttered.

Unless the water is a death pit/out of bounds, building in it should be allowed. That's how it is in all maps. I haven't played it, just pointing that out.

Though, what map has water right infront of the only 2 entrances to the intel room?

Underwater bases are fun after all.
I do love doing them at the beginning of Thunder Mountain...

Just some overall questions... I was hoping to be there for the testing, but this was a pleasant surprise...

Were the Trains too frequent, not frequent enough, or just right?
Did you feel the respawn rooms could be camped?
How was the vertical height in the buildings?
Was it fun? :p

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
I meant the hurting water front of intel rooms. And if you fall down you cannot get out.

And trains bugged randomly. Server crashes actually 2 times so you might want to check your entities if there is some problems. But the trains are always fun :D