CTF_Offtrack

What should the theme be?

• Alpine: Because no one can get enough hardwood... flooring...

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Egypt: Even the Egyptian Train Gods must be appeased

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Abandon Coal Mine: Eh. Why not?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Snowy Industrial Factory: I hurd u liek snow?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Industrial: Like Granary, Well, etc.

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Leaks, bad ents, really bad optimization or anything that server can't handle.

FEEDBACK

- Water needs sparks, the overlays didn't keep players out of there.
- Add doors to that glass buildings to block the sightlines.
- The holes leading to intel room under the middle should be locked for the team who's intel room it leads to, scouts could easily cap intel and run in hole, cap, and then repeat.
- It needs sings pointing right into intel room, first two rounds red team was lost and had no idea where their intel was.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Oh, you can get out of the water. But still make sure you can't build there :D

And about the trains: I just though they were glitching because trains just went though the gates and then teleported back behind the first gate and stopped.

And here is what I mean about sightlines
ctf_offtrack_a40000%20%28Small%29.jpg

You can really easily watch every direction where other team can attack. You might want to add some cover there.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Ah, Alright. I looked around at guides and tutorials on how to make trains, followed them, and that is what they do. I havn't made it yet so that the doors open and lights flash.

The LoS to the opposing sniper nest is just about what it is supposed to be... I dunno, as a career sniper (and/or medic) I just felt that too many LoS made it even harder than just 1 or 2. But, I have been thinking about adding some cover in those areas, so, no fret.

EDIT: There is supposed to be a large pillar in the middle of the building in the middle. I shall look into why that isn't there... its supposed to break up that particular sightline.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
on the ground, there's a sightline to pretty much everything
ctf_offtrack_a40000.jpg

as a career sniper, i see how this might look ok to you, but tf2 is close quarters combat.
play as heavy next playtest. see how you fare.

ctf_offtrack_a40001.jpg

this tunnel is way too inviting to run into it with the intel, only to find a dead end

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
il_fullxfull.96192461.jpg

It's not dead! Just. Busy.

Alright, so, I have been very busy. [I'm a Physics Major (Astronomy + possible Astro-Geology minor) and a TA/Tutor, so I have a lot to deal with.] I am still working on this map (along with a portal one -_-"), I am currently looking at Valve maps, and how they are optimized. Also, I am destroying sightlines, but also allowing for some vision. And finally I will be adding some more detail/textures.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Bump because I was told so.

a5 released. checking to make sure all worked.

EDIT: Alright, updated with a properly packed file, i think. There was this other file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8526839/ctf_offtrack_a5.bsp.bak

I'm not sure if this is the proper one i should've posted, but here it is. I will return in 30-45 minutes to see if it worked.

Last edited:

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
The main entrance into your base is a death trap. Right by the mains spawn exit.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
a6 now up!

Basically, just added stuff based off feedback from last gameday.

The water now has sparks. so rejoice to that.

I will be adjusting the Intel room the next time it is updated, I don't know when that will be for I am bust the next week with classes.

Enjoy.
EDIT: I was doing HW and missed tomorrows Gameday Deadline. So i'll probably post it up for Fridays... Dammit -_-"

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
ctf_offtrack_a60000%20%282%29.jpg

You forgot to pack your skybox texture.

Also, next time you fix these type of things, please change name to a6a or a6b so people don't have to replace their maps again and to avoid server issues.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, just got back from classes, and have reviewed the feedback...

-This is the first time I've heard the map to be "too large" out of the total 3 playtests I've had this map in... I have already made it half the original size.
-The intel room And surrounding area is getting a makeover next update
-I left the roofs above the balcony unclipped for a reason, I will review the STV and will -probably- clip it.
-Cubemaps, I will build them. And reflections will come.
-Train kill box is just the right size. I will make adjusts around the tracks to allow more room AND make a warning system. I will make it so that the trains come from out of the skybox and onto the map.
-Trains will be unstoppable next update (just need to add the clip)
-Doors will be fixed

Thanks for the -70- :)O) annotations guys

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Was the height an issue? I can't go much lower because of the trains....

I noticed after the watching the Demo Vid that the area did seem a bit overscaled. I'm considering stripping down most of the... well... everything... Start it back up from scratch sort of, keeping the main idea and concepts and (somewhat) look and work from there. It would take a few weeks, but might happen.

I'm trying not to turn my map into Well.