ctf_nightwatch

Fredrik

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 15, 2009
This map played realy well, it looks fantastic and that screen in the intel room looks awesome. My only complain is that there were only one spawn or only one exit. I didn't like it, it was enough. Some times people stood just outside the door and kill enemies.
Otherwise great map!

Confidence Man

L1: Registered
Jun 26, 2009
Thanks! I'll look at adding another way out, maybe down a stairway or something like doublecross does. I thought about adding another spawn room, but it would have to be off to one of the sides and I sort of want it to be centralized to give easy access to either route to the intel. I'll fool around with it.

Now I'm working on widening halls and doorways where I can. I may remove the angled stairway when you go in the right side as it's a little awkward and gives maybe too easy access to the spawn area for attackers. I might replace it with a hole that defenders can drop down like they have on the other side.

Next release should have backgrounds, sounds/soundscapes, and be somewhat optimized, though it seemed to perform alright.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
Updated to b1 for gameday tomorrow. Added secondary spawns, backgrounds, widened some stairways and doorways, added areaportals, and some tweaks and fixes.

24pzzmr.jpg

2zfin3o.jpg

Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, the out of bounds area looks amazing!

@Absurdistof: it's a predefined particle effect, and the "smoke" texture is always "fullbright" (It's a parameter in the .vmt). You could change it but then you had to edit the particle effect too and so on..

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Clip this off and make the topleft siren nonsolid.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
Done and done. I'm also putting some junk or barricade in front of that garage door in front of blue; people seemed to be confused as to whether it was accessible or not.

I've also altered the raised walkway across the side yard so it's more or less straight from the window to the doorway rather than right angles, and removed the railings to make it less fiddly to fight from.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
You mean the room with the Doublecross doors? I think that making the door face the other way and putting a brush with a 'keep out' overlay on it would be good.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Or using a different door. Most people can tell what doors can be gone through and what door cannot.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
New version is up. Here are the main changes.

Redid the walkways in back so it's more of a straight shot from the window to door:
20qb3pd.jpg

Fleshed out all the spytech areas:
2eurkug.jpg

Added another way into the intel room through a vent:
2dbnwcw.jpg

Also adjusted the area at the top of the stairwell where you had to go outside to get to the battlement. Now there's just a door straight to it and a room with a window to snipe from where that tiny hallway was.

And I added some props in front of the door on blue side to make it clearer that you can't go in it.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Two nitpicks: align the wooden beams perpendicular to the side beams, and remove those red pipes near BLU intel; they look VERY out of place.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
I don't know, it doesn't bother me. I may add a little brown here and there to tie it in a little more like Valve does in 2fort blue intel. They use those pipes in a couple places and it doesn't look bad.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Fix the colours of these overlays; looks odd with the 1 being lighter.
The outlet here has some weird shadowing, probably because its center is in a well-lit area.
Nodrawn face here.
Z-fighting here.
Clip/make this nonsolid.
Make this camera nonsolid.
Use a different glass here.
Clip this and this and this.
Make this sign and these lights and this and
this nonsolid.
Why are these clips there?
Put this more into the wall.
This roof isn't clipped properly, don't know about other side.

Great map. I love it. Even though it suffers from 2fort syndrome a bit, it plays quite well. I think that clarifying where the intel is would help out a lot; maybe the wooden intel sign here?

Last edited:

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
Thanks for the pics! I did sort of a rough clipping pass but clearly missed a number of things. That nodraw face is a good catch.

All of the decorative windows are floating, I still have to sink them into the brushes. That's definitely on my list for the next version.

Good idea about the intel sign, too.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think this is the one where the piles of hay were floating. *checks* Yep.

I hate those things; you can never tell in Hammer if they're on the ground or not.