ctf_nightwatch

Confidence Man

L1: Registered
Jun 26, 2009
ctf_nightwatch_b2

Nightwatch is a standard ctf map, a continuation of sorts of my last ctf map, crossunder, the common idea being to offer two distinct routes to the intelligence in an effort to decentralize defenses and give attackers more options.

There are two separate routes to and from the intel room; one goes through the bases rooms and hallways, the other goes around the side through a long yard.
Attackers can avoid either side completely, so engies will have to spread out to cover both routes. The centralized spawn, however, gives quick access to both routes as well as the battlements.

Last edited:

Little Giant

Jul 3, 2010
Wow! Great job!

I would like to play test this on a game day!

Awesome!

(agree with above, some places are a bit dark)

- LG

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
I just recompiled and uploaded a newer version with the _a1 in the title so it can maybe be tested tomorrow (and added some clips to the roofs so demos and soldiers can't get up there).

It is a little dark in places, though it isn't quite so dark as the screens as those were a few compiles old by the time I made the thread and there are some lighting differences.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
Thanks to everyone who tested it out yesterday. Most of the feedback that I could hear from the playtest was:

-Too dark
-Too confusing
-Too cramped

The darkness is easy enough to fix, though I don't want it so bright that you wouldn't know it was night if you don't look up (pipeline is like that).

I think it was confusing in part because it was hard to tell what side you were on without the bases being textured, and also the lack of signs. So far I've textured almost all of it and added a ton of signs. I've also removed the sliding doors in front so it's less disorienting when you enter/exit due to the angled structures.

As far as it being too cramped, I've started redoing the inner base; opened up some walls and raised the ceilings where I could, so that should alleviate some of that cramped feel in that part (I hope).

A couple pics of red base:

5lo4tc.jpg

9rkdg8.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's still pretty dark. If you look at pipeline, they run strings of lights across the main routes.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
Yeah, I've looked at how they did pipeline. Personally I don't mind if it's a little darker overall, particularly above the normal playable area. As bright as pipeline is it might as well be a daytime level.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
this is pretty fly

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, I've looked at how they did pipeline. Personally I don't mind if it's a little darker overall, particularly above the normal playable area. As bright as pipeline is it might as well be a daytime level.
I think that was sorta the point of what they did. You never want lighting dark enough it makes player color recognition harder. It's usually impossible to tell from world lighting how players will look, so I can't say about your map (other than those dark corners), just something to keep in mind.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
Intel rm:
25i44mh.jpg

Room the vent used to drop into (no more vent):
znagzk.jpg

Red sideyard:
vpw285.jpg

Outside spawn:
amtfli.jpg

Stairs leading up to battlements, moved them way back so it wasn't such a quick route from the front door up there:
2d6qlci.jpg

Should have a new version up for the next playtest.

Last edited:

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
The intel room looks great. I just think you should get rid of that "R" overlay. Maybe replace it with the team logo.

Confidence Man

Jun 26, 2009
I sort of liked the retro look. :p

But I don't think there's a "B" in that style for blue, so I'll probably swap it out.

Algebraic

Jul 18, 2010
I really like the look of this map. It seems like something you could see as an official TF2 map.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I sort of liked the retro look. :p

But I don't think there's a "B" in that style for blue, so I'll probably swap it out.

Well, there is an equivalent sign, but it looks pretty awful.