Creating new tool textures?

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Hi, so I'd like to preface this by saying this falls under the category of my almost-OCD clipping obsession

So, does anyone know if it's feasible for me to try to create new tool textures to these specifications:
I want to make a form of tool texture similar to :blockbullets:, that blocks projectiles yet allows hitscans to pass through, meaning splash damage will fan out over the top of the steps correctly, bullet impacts will still show up on steps/etc. Maybe Blockproj?
I'd also make multiple versions with different material definitions for different footstep sounds, similar to how CSGO has multiple clip materials.

This would be so that walking up a clipped set of metal stairs would still create metal footsteps, yet at the same time explosives would always work correctly and bullet decals + particles would show. Also, on hanging metal steps, you would be able to shoot through them yet explosions would never get blocked by the steps.

I originally tried using a metal-textured func_brush instead of blockbullets2 set to render invisibly, but for some reason there were instances where my view jittered and I could get caught up jumping, even though it should be solid and bullet impact particles showed up where the brush volume was.

So yeah, I understand if it's not possible to create something like this without making a new entity, but otherwise I'm open to suggestions!

Edit: I'm aware that Sunshine included Blockbullets2 which doesn't cut visleaves like Blockbullets, but I don't know to how much extent the editability of materials or tool gextures is.

Last edited:

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
also yes I know this is something that no player will likely notice let alone appreciate but it's just a tiny level of polish I want my maps to have, for my sanity if nothing else

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Do you have a list of the material flags used? vbsp converts the material flags to flags for the geometry in the bsp file.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Do you have a list of the material flags used? vbsp converts the material flags to flags for the geometry in the bsp file.
I actually don't know how I'd go about this, I just assumed it was possible.
Sorry, I should've made it clearer: what I want to know is if it's possible to make a texture that blocks projectiles but not bullets (the material changing would be something I'd do after getting it working, if it's at all possible in the first place).

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Textures do nothing, they are just pictures. It is the material that has the flags.

I suggest that you start opening the materials and look for the flags. They all begin with "%compile".

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
I really hope this works out, my clipping pseudo-OCD has also been demanding proper footstep sounds on stairs.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I really hope this works out, my clipping pseudo-OCD has also been demanding proper footstep sounds on stairs.

According to the Valve Developer wiki, The L4D games use a clip/nodraw variant that acts like metal, and CS:S has a nodraw that acts like wood, so it shouldn't be too hard to set them up. Do some sleuthing around for custom textures like this, but if nothing comes up you can always put something in the "Request" forum.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
I'm going to assume for now (I'm without access to my PC) that what I want to achieve is impossible without engine adjustments, as allowing hitscans but not projectiles through doesn't seem like something that'd be included already for any reason.