Crafting so far

Dr. KillPatient

L3: Member
May 10, 2009
Haven't seen any new ones. I wonder if you can craft two hats together plus a class token and get a hat of that class...

Dec 25, 2007
I thought all the "rebuild class token" and "rebuild slot token" recipes were the new ones.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I thought all the "rebuild class token" and "rebuild slot token" recipes were the new ones.

Rebuild...?

I kind of wasted a scrap metal, a slot token and a spy token to get a dead ringer...no idea why I did that :(

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2007
The rebuild recipes are:
One class A token + one weapon from class B = class B token.
One slot A token + one weapon from slot B = slot B token.

I built a spy token (out of my endless watches) and threw my direct hit at it to get a soldier token, then used that with a slot 2 token and a scrap metal to try and get gunboats. I got the buff banner instead, but that was also new to me, so it's all good.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Wait, rebuild class token?

Those look like an awesomely-better way to get "missing" unlocks.

Dec 25, 2007
Well, definitely better, but still far from awesome. For example, I used four watches to make a spy token, then used those together with one Direct Hit to make a soldier token; that and a secondary token and a scrap metal gave me the buff banner (I wanted gunboats).

So, 12 weapons to get one. Crafting is still incredibly wasteful.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
just 105 more weapons to smelt until my demoman hat...

(I'm willing to make sacrifices, like making a class token for sniper, then rebuilding that with my Scottish Resistance so I have my demo token ready, or making all my soldier unlocks into scrap metal, then finding the gunboats)

Dr. KillPatient

L3: Member
May 10, 2009
You know what, that's a really great idea. Someone should e-mail that page to Valve and see what they think about it. They're quite prone to listening to the community so I'd say we may have a fair chance =p

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Guys, you can now combine three items used by the same class to produce 1 Scrap Metal. Even things like A + A + B work.

Sudden surge in metal here I come

Dec 25, 2007
Indeed, I can confirm that works. And you can now also craft watches; I just crafted 3 DRs, then 2 DRs and a CnD to get two more metal. Now at 10/27 scrap metal.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Crafting is still incredibly wasteful.

I get the feeling crafting in general was created less to give people all the items they wanted and more to give people who had accumulated a ridiculous number of duplicate items a way to get rid of them all and still get some consolation prize in return.

Still, 81 weapons for one hat, or 112 for a class-specific hat, is so over the top it's insane. People don't even have that many slots available, total. Much less the right combination of items.

Last edited: