cp_stag

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
looking really great. persoanlly love quake ports cos they always give soldiers and demo man the lanscape they thrive in :D Chuck up a link on the playground and we'll get testing it at beta :cool:

Sacrifist

L3: Member
Nov 21, 2007
That trim texture you are using makes the walls look odd. Like in this shot here http://vilepickle.com/pics/stag/stag...round2-wip.jpg. It doesnt look bad but just looks like you are overdoing it.

Im surprised the TF2 police hasnt jumped into this thread and said the map doesnt look TF2ish enough. Oh, wait, one did come here and say it in a nice way by asking you why you just dont make a map look like that pic he posted. A pic that looks like almost half of the bases in the Valve maps...go figure.

TotalMark

Feb 13, 2008
I really want this map the way it is :001_wub:, PLEASE don't change it!!!! :thumbup:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
That trim texture you are using makes the walls look odd. Like in this shot here http://vilepickle.com/pics/stag/stag...round2-wip.jpg. It doesnt look bad but just looks like you are overdoing it.

Im surprised the TF2 police hasnt jumped into this thread and said the map doesnt look TF2ish enough. Oh, wait, one did come here and say it in a nice way by asking you why you just dont make a map look like that pic he posted. A pic that looks like almost half of the bases in the Valve maps...go figure.

You may be right on that side room. I've redone a lot of that to be more "darkish", so the trim may fit in better now. If not, I can change it to a lighter one that works better. I was ecstatic that I found TF2 actually did have some decent trim, and that room was the bad child of old geometry and my newfound love-trim.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007

Your jealousy, resentment, and bitterness are irrelevant, inappropriate, and nonconstructive. Please keep such negativity to yourself.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I cloned my base tonight, was kind of a pain in the ass. I've discovered that there are limits on various entity types that make the game crash. The easiest one to reach is prop_dynamic (since I was using that for my models for the longest time). I've converted to static and the entity limit has risen substantially. I then got to the point where my map wouldn't even load so I could stress test with bots. I reduced the number of spotlight effects in the map that I use on most lights, and I've now gotten to a stable state.

My map information states about 3200 entities total with point/solid added. That's much closer to the engine limit, and I'm happy it's attainable (albeit painful if you're using entities with invisible limits of their own)

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
http://vilepickle.com/pics/stag/stag-rr.jpg Whoaaaaa that hole in the area below the ramp looks hella ugly. I realize it's in the original but the geometry doesn't look appropriate. Maybe it's just the camera perspective but maybe something that more emulates the outline of the ramp would work. Everything else looks great. http://etfgame.com/shots/levels/stag4.jpg How are you planning to emulate this waterfall? Or rather what will you have to replace it with :(

Last edited:

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
just had a run round the map,

will be interesting to see how this map plays on a full server so i wont even comment on gameplay yet :)

couple of things i didnt like,

the 3 steps jump - for a scout its not too bad but for any other class its gonna be annoying to get - and the reward - a small health pack will probably make it at unused position, if it was a bigger pack i might risk trying to get it more. i'd also like to be able to jump across from other platforms and be able to reach it - the lip of the alcove could be made a little bit longer to make this easier - head hits the upper level jumping from other areas.

The underground tunnels im presuming are supposed to be small - although i felt they were a little too small - a tiny amount of strafing can slow your movement along the angled sections of the walls (see screeny for example - run up that incline and strafe left or right as you do it)

The outdoor trim of the red base - the brownish colour of the main base i didnt like - the blu base looks fine with the muted blue colour , but the brownish red colour didnt fit alongside the other red textures used on the outside.

Anyway uploading to my server to see if i can get a proper playtest :)

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
The arguing needs to stop right now. Stop derailing this thread.

Thank you.

phatal

Jan 8, 2008
I'm kinda disappointed with this level Vile. You've made such polished levels and this one really falls below them all. The use of the metal beam is insane... IT'S EVERYWHERE. You even use it flat on walls and for the floor. You're obviously brilliant with hammer... can you not make some custom textures or find something a little more fitting for some of these beams?

The halls were incredibly tight as well. TF2 doesn't do good with such small small doorways and halls.

The server I tried this initiated an RTV to switch maps to HYDRO of all things. I think this one may need a lot of work still Vile.

Please don't take this too negatively but this port I don't think is ready for TF2. It might make a better ctf instead however. :(

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
just had a run round the map,

will be interesting to see how this map plays on a full server so i wont even comment on gameplay yet :)

couple of things i didnt like,

the 3 steps jump - for a scout its not too bad but for any other class its gonna be annoying to get - and the reward - a small health pack will probably make it at unused position, if it was a bigger pack i might risk trying to get it more. i'd also like to be able to jump across from other platforms and be able to reach it - the lip of the alcove could be made a little bit longer to make this easier - head hits the upper level jumping from other areas.

The underground tunnels im presuming are supposed to be small - although i felt they were a little too small - a tiny amount of strafing can slow your movement along the angled sections of the walls (see screeny for example - run up that incline and strafe left or right as you do it)

The outdoor trim of the red base - the brownish colour of the main base i didnt like - the blu base looks fine with the muted blue colour , but the brownish red colour didnt fit alongside the other red textures used on the outside.

Anyway uploading to my server to see if i can get a proper playtest :)

The healthpack on the last CP may not be important, but the position as an engineer is important, I feel. With a gun there, they can lock down 2 entrances and have a supply station safely behind them. I don't really want ammo or a bigger pack there.

I've considered redoing some of the tunnel system. I may end up doing that. I actually raised the ceiling as far as I could technically. A side room may be a decent addition, and I kind of agree with the angled sides.

Some guy on FPSB criticized me for having a CTF map in a CP map's body. Well, yeah, that's what I was going for. Regular 5-point CP maps are bland as anything, might as well try something different. The spawn timer is about 9 seconds max as well, considering the spawn is close to the CP's. I don't want spawn camping happening, and this isn't as big as other CP maps.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Might be stylistically quibbling here, but just trying to help:

I see you made Red's base's outline more angular to fit their theme. However the reason the Blu base looked good was because the round roof over the main entrance seen here http://vilepickle.com/map/screens/tf2_cp_stag/stag-5.jpg emulates the bigger semicircles on the top of the building. I think the same semicircular dome above Red's main entrance should be changed to be as angular as the rest of its roof, maybe?

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
Played a few games, one with 32 man. 32 man kind of deadlocks some. This is partly due to the layout being new, I believe, which happens with all maps. I'm going to increase the spawn timer to about 12 secs max instead of 9 right now, cause as it is people get back in the action quite quick. I'll have to wait a few weeks to see more games as people's knowledge of the map grows, as my tendency to see what people do is currently conflicting with my opinion of spawn timers.

With 6v6 and 8v8 the map seems to be pretty solid. 32 mans could use some work, no doubt.

Shmitz mentioned another forward spawn, of which I don't really want to do. Since CP4 and 5 are so close to each other, and the map is relatively small (smaller than well/granary), I don't want to add another spawn in the middle. The one forward spawn should be adequate, I think. Only time will tell. I don't think the size/location of the CP's calls for one even further up. We'll see, though. I'm open to anything at this point.

Last edited:

TotalMark

Feb 13, 2008
Well, I really liked it, I found it to be a delicious map. That's, really the only word I can use to describe it.

Looks - :drool1:
Play - :001_unsure: (looks like it would play okay)
Style - :001_wub:

I'm being 100% honest here.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I can see why you might not want another forward spawn, but part of the problem is just that the attacking side can't compete very well with the defending side given that their respawn is right there under the 4th point. It takes a soldier 2 seconds after exiting resupply to get onto that point. One thing that might help is if you disabled that door if the 4th point gets taken, so that the defending side must exit out into the 5th point room and make their way from there.

Two other comments:
1) Doors need a lip, as currently without one there's z-fighting between the door frame and the door's inside edge.
2) Many of the side tunnels off to the left (from the attacker's perspective) seem unused, even with 32 players. This may simply be because players are still learning the map, but I'd keep an eye on them and the possibility that it might benefit the map to remove or consolidate them.