cp_powerhouse is already liked because it's symmetric 3CP.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Interestingly, a bunch of things have been reused from previous maps: http://imgur.com/a/rNmTF
Can't blame them really, no one will notice during regular play.

And now to address some criticism

First of all, you did the math? Tryhard, and I can see your major shining through.

Secondly, all the rounds of Powerhouse I've played have probably been 20 minutes. So put that in your calculator and, uh, calculate it. I just can't see it being feasible.

Glorious post. 10/10. Would read again.

Yes, surprisingly I multiplied two numbers, then I divided two numbers. I did both IN MY HEAD. Wow, I'm trying so super hard to look cool on an internet forum for points. Look how cool I am: :cool1:

My 'major' ? First up: Here in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland, we don't have 'majors' 100% of our University level studies are dedicated to the actual topic we're studying. Secondly: Yes, I have an Astrophysics degree. What of it?

The valid part of your post is your recollection of Powerhouse round lengths. You say yours have all lasted a certain length, I counter yours with the 3-4 rounds I played in the span of about 30 minutes. However, it's your experience vs mine, they're both anecdotal so I put forward some hard evidence for shorter round lengths. 7 rounds averaging 8:21 minutes. That's 43 rounds in the 6 hours between it launching and tyler's post claiming he'd played 12. Hell, even at your suggested 20 minutes per round, that's still a whopping 18 rounds possible in that time.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I might have played 9 or 10 rounds instead of a dozen, but I didn't expect some dumbass post arguing about it, because it's anecdotal and presented no ideas as concrete facts.

Aug 23, 2008
I honestly don't mind the reusing that much. To be honest, in modern dev those displacement cliffs would have been a static mesh any way, so you wouldn't feel even slightly guilty about reusing them.

The brush skylight in process (and rooftop, though I'm going to be replacing it soon) is copied from gorge, though I did adjust the textures to be a bit more in line with what I had in that area. It honestly seems weird to make something like that out of brushes. I mean, you can do it, but it feels super wasteful, especially for something that is so central to the look and feel of that area, as well as it being a super resuable kind of level geometry (what level wouldn't be improved by slapping a skylight into the roof?).

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
And to be fair those displacement cliffs are rather tasty. Why bother remaking something that looks kind of the same when they do the job so well. Good job Valve for being economical and realistic.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've always maintained that hydro is one of the prettiest maps, and it gets played so infrequently most f2ps have probably never even heard of it.

*spits on the ground*