Contingency

CP Contingency a2

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
Seems based.

One of the longest rotate times for BLU going into the backward hold that I've ever seen, probably to make the point extraordinarily difficult to justify having only one CP.
The one-way route into the backward hold in particular is based because it deincentivises RED from pushing forward and re-assuming the forward hold for fear of being backcapped, so most gameplay will revolve around the backward hold (which will make for tense overtimes) but RED will still have a fair chance to use the forward hold as a buffer against uber, particularly at the start of the round.

I expected not to like the backward hold based on the pictures since it has the classic Dario Casali cultist "point on a raised circular platform" thingy, but it's actually very subtle and brilliant in its design apart from that.
The forward hold is sort of... basic and functional by comparison. Although I think it's meant to not be an area players stick around in for a very long time, since it doesn't seem like a very strong hold area.

The full health kit right outside BLU spawn is based.
I imagine the idea is that in around 1/10 rounds, a really strong RED team will just hold BLU's spawn for the entire round and it'll be a good laugh for everyone involved cause of its outstanding rarity (or a point for the entire BLU team to ragequit, more likely).

I only really have a couple of suggestions:

BLU's spawn exits all pretty much lead to the same place. I know (because I did it in cp_bruhstbowl stage 1) that letting BLU just skip past RED's initial defense outside their spawn and just go straight to the forward hold would be lame, but it's even lamer to feel like your choice of spawn exit doesn't matter.
This is just one of several sentry spots that cover all three spawn exits:
1719928959634.png

This also harms class balance, since a Sniper has no real way to avoid a Demoman in this starting area - more importantly, a Demoman who's more likely to complain about getting killed by a Sniper has no way to avoid him either.

Here's a potential solution:
1719929848313.png

The "X"s represent doorways which should be axed.
The... abomination in the middle represents a large mining building that partitions the whole arena.
The orange ramps represent ramps that let players freely travel under it, and there are two doors that lead into the full health pack.

The goal of the mining building is to make it so that the high-ground BLU exit (which is now the designated long-range combat exit) can't see anything on the other side of it, and the two new low-ground entrances have unique upsides and downsides since they each exit on different sides of the building.
One of them is visible to the high-ground, long-range path (and therefore more receptive to long-range combat), whereas the other isn't (and therefore forces close-range combat).

Here's a smaller, simpler suggestion for this area:
1719930384508.png

Adding a small platform that lets RED defenders duck around a corner would make this upper route more interesting almost immediately.
It would also be relatively harmless, since while you're taking cover here you're fully exposed to RED's other spawn exits.

Come to think of it, an even more fun way to add cover to this upper path could be a downramp on the other side relative to this platform:
1719930686269.png

This would not only let RED players duck to safety when camping this spawn exit, but once BLU pushes out of the spawn exit, they could use it to duck to safety when pressuring RED's defensive positions.
You could even put the spawn exit on this newly-added low ground, so that BLU isn't visible to the rest of the arena unless they want to be, giving them a pretty clear advantage.
This change would be best combined with the "partioning building" design I suggested earlier, so that it's not too awful to be a RED defender and have BLU using a really OP ramp against you - you can just move to the other side of the building and fight there.

I once did a thing in an A/D map where I put the point on a 64-unit high platform with sloped sides and it was pretty fun:
1719930539353.png

That kind of thing could be cool to do to the CP on this map... IF it were the kind of point which required BLU to survive on it for a long time to capture.
But the point on this map is more of the Dustbowl variety, where BLU has to first clear RED out of the backward hold, and after that capturing is free.
So a raised platform like this would be sort of... pointless.

Tiftid rant over. I expected this to be longer, but most of the design of this map is exemplary in my eyes, and I struggled to find any flaws- although for the sake of fairness I tried very hard.
Good job!