clip projectiles and bullets but not players

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
Is there some kind of engine limitation that prevents this or did Valve just never think it worthwhile to have an option for blocking bullets but not players?

v1ND

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2009
Absolute noob at these things but it sounds like you could have 2 objects. One no ray collision displacement and one func_nogrenades. Wouldn't that work?

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
I know this topic is quite old, but I found the solution and didnt see the point of opening a new topic for it (correct me if im wrong)

I managed to accomplish this with a func_physbox_multiplayer
I kept the "Not solid to world" on its default of "Solid to world"
The only property I did change is disabling shadows
And in the flags I have the following checked:
- Start Asleep
- Debris - Don't collide with the player or other debris
- Motion Disabled
- Prevent motion enable on player bump
- Only break on trigger
- Don't take physics damage
- Don't allow bullet penetration

Im not entirely sure if all of these flags are required for it to work, but i figured its better to play safe

The result: The player can walk through the brush just fine, but bullets, melee hits, sandballs, arrows, explosions, fire, rockets, needles, grenades, sandviches, engineer building, sentry view, and almost everything else does not go through it

Things that ive tested that do still go through it:
Taunt kills
The Righteous Bison lazer does go through it, however it doesnt do any damage anymore after going through it

Last edited:

Zeigh

Jul 13, 2012
I know this topic is quite old, but I found the solution and didnt see the point of opening a new topic for it (correct me if im wrong)

I managed to accomplish this with a func_physbox_multiplayer
I kept the "Not solid to world" on its default of "Solid to world"
The only property I did change is disabling shadows
And in the flags I have the following checked:
- Start Asleep
- Debris - Don't collide with the player or other debris
- Motion Disabled
- Prevent motion enable on player bump
- Only break on trigger
- Don't take physics damage
- Don't allow bullet penetration

Im not entirely sure if all of these flags are required for it to work, but i figured its better to play safe

The result: The player can walk through the brush just fine, but bullets, melee hits, sandballs, arrows, explosions, fire, rockets, needles, grenades, sandviches, engineer building, sentry view, and almost everything else does not go through it

Things that ive tested that do still go through it:
Taunt kills
The Righteous Bison lazer does go through it, however it doesnt do any damage anymore after going through it

I know this thread is even more old since this post, but I tried this and it didn't work. Players could pass through it, but so could bullets. Also, there no longer seems to be a func_physbox_multiplayer, just func_physbox. Not sure if it is the reason why it didn't, probably not.

Sorry for necro.

ROFLsnakes

Apr 24, 2012
Here's how it's done.

You need:

func_wall_toggle brush (set to nodraw, It's a dev texture in the vmf for the sake of a demo)
trigger_multiple brush
filter_team entity
filter_tf_damaged_by_weapon_in_slot entity (four of these)

Here's a VMF file download link that you can use with no credit do.Use it to see what outputs/settings to use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qhi4rp9e3tto21/blockbullet.vmf

There is a bit of lag between the door turning on/off that's the only downside, it's just a matter of tweaking settings. Enjoy!

Edit:Still a bit glitchy working on fixing it

Last edited:

Wander

Sep 16, 2010
I know this thread is even more old since this post, but I tried this and it didn't work. Players could pass through it, but so could bullets. Also, there no longer seems to be a func_physbox_multiplayer, just func_physbox. Not sure if it is the reason why it didn't, probably not.

Sorry for necro.

That is exactly the reason it didn't work for you, it doesn't work with func_physbox, only with func_physbox_multiplayer

The entity does still exist, but it's not shown in hammer by default, you have to install the resource pack before it shows up in hammer

Limeaide

Jul 26, 2009
Why not just use an automatic door like the ones in well? It is functionally identical unless someone holds it open (though this rarely happens in normal gameplay) and a player can quickly identify what it does without causing any confusion like an invisible wall or forcefield would.

Wander

Sep 16, 2010
Why not just use an automatic door like the ones in well? It is functionally identical unless someone holds it open (though this rarely happens in normal gameplay) and a player can quickly identify what it does without causing any confusion like an invisible wall or forcefield would.

The reason I looked for this functionality was for a custom gamemode, zombie fortress
In ZF spawncamping is a huge problem, due to one team being melee only and starting with a few players

If a team of 18 players with all weapons starts spawncamping a team of 5 players who only have melee, the game can become very difficult and boring for zombies, even with a very well designed spawn

In this case, a brush where zombies can walk through, and survivors cannot shoot through is a great help