Character Heights

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by GrimGriz, Mar 10, 2009.

1. GrimGriz

GrimGriz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are character heights ACTUALLY different or do they use the same collision box?

As you know, I have teleports in my map. If everyone is standing on the trigger when it activates, they all go to the same random destination. I'd like them to be able to be standing in the same trigger at the same time and go to different destinations.

I was thinking if I parented the trigger to a func door and "opened" it downward it might hit different characters heads at different times resulting in different activation times and therefore the possibility of different random exits....

Anyone know if that will work/other ideas for ppl standing on the same trigger to end up at different random tele destinations?

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    They all use the same collision box, 48x48x82. I'd like to smack whoever started that idea that they are different sizes :|

edit: oh, forgot about other ideas! You could try making the teleport a "radius" brush and parent it to a func_door_rotating so that it sweeps around the circle to hit people.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. GrimGriz

GrimGriz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    but you aim lower to shoot an engie in the head because hitbox /= collision box?

That sounds like it will work, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

4. Mar

Mar Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Each class has a different hit box, but they do have the same collision box. I know that doesn't make to much sense, but that's the way it works.

5. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    well it actually makes sense. Collision model is the same, it's just a box around the body which interacts with physics. Hitboxes are "complex" but they only interact with hit traces.

6. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Im curious...is this number still accurate since that crouch update?
    I would assume that the collision box is what causes the player to interact with the level. So...since you can no longer crouch through smaller areas is just the crouch height different or are the characters actually taller now?

7. MrAlBobo

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Gosh, you edited to point out the article between the time it took me to click and read and then hit the post button. :p Well anyway, yeah, it says that. *digs up VDC password to change*

9. MrAlBobo

Positive Ratings:
    Im not sure you want to change it just yet, id imagine this is something valve would want to fix...its either that or they need to edit a few of their maps to make some of the areas usable again

10. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not adding much, but crouching collision boxes have gotten larger, this is fact.