Changing levels without changelevel

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by The Asylum, Jul 30, 2013.

1. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    so it's like this:

You know those vote maps, right? Where instead of the usual nextmap plugin, a server goes to an actual map that players do whatever it is they do to choose the next map (ie capturing a point, triggering a trigger volume, whatever). The typical vote map sends a changelevel "whatevermap" output to the sever, and away they go.

I was wondering: is it possible to do this without a changelevel command?

For instance: Say one of the maps on the menu gets updated. So if the winning candidate is "cp_fuckshittery_a1" but the sever has "cp_fuckshittery_a2" on the server instead. Obviously, the changelevel command has to point to a specific map on the server, or else it won't work.

And please don't say plugins. Plugins are not an option for me.

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, not possible to my knowledge. At least not with just entities and I/O. That vscript thing might be able to do it, but I don't think that's in TF2.

3. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    The changelevel command could roll down the list of versions? So it tries map_rc3, map_rc2, map_rc1, map_b5, map_b4, etc etc etc. This would apply pretty strict restrictions on how many versions you could have, though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    You know, that's pretty genius. Thanks.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    That would have to assume a limited number of betas before rc, though.

I'm surprised there's not a "go to the first map that starts with ______" way to do it, the way the server kick and ban commands work with usernames.

6. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I assume an asterisk wouldn't work?

7. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    just tried it, nope.avi

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Well, theoretically there wouldn't be a problem with having 100 outputs that cover more betas than anyone* could possibly use, but you'd still miss edge cases with odd names.

* Anyone excludes the one known as Icarus

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. Eureka

Eureka L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Each map sends a command to the server with a new cvar. An easy way to do this is to remove your server_rotation or maplist.txt or whatever it's called.. then you set the cvar to your votemap.

I'm not sure which plugin does this though.