Canyonfodder

CP Canyonfodder b8

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
oof... painful guys.

i've taken onboard almost all feedback i receive.

are you sure about this? I know at least one person (Selentic) that complained to me how you didn't listen to him at all

I mean I dunno what he said and dunno much about the feedback this map got at all but I think people thinking you ignored their feedback early on would be a nice explanation why they stopped giving any

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Hey, talking about the payload version of the map you tested a bit in the impromptu today:

fUYZ3Un.jpg

There's this junction from the defender's point of view with a bunch of routes/doorways to the other sections of map on stage 2 in between the two halves of the stage. The route on the right would obviously lead down the track, interestingly the route with the yellow barrel in the middle comes from a flank route that attackers can use, and so one might expect that the upper left route also leads to a higher-up flank that maybe defenders could use to mingle with the incoming peeps.

PSepGJX.jpg

But it doesn't :| it just wraps back around to the last area of the map.

Now, for the attackers attacking this last area of the map it's a fine ol' route to attack, the confusion for me was in the early bits of the stage when I would be trekking through the above mentioned junction as a defender often.

lmOt3xm.jpg

So I think that if you just had a gate on the door that started locked until some capture point was captured it would work better. Something where, from the junction, as a defender I see that this route is not for me, but an attacker, when it's their team to use this junction, can use the route.

Overall, about general gameplay feel of the PL version of the map. It felt decently good. I think stage 2 felt better than stage 1 since stage 1 has a lot of flat areas. I know it has high spots for snipers to stand on, but for all the medium/short range damaging classes, those parts of the areas were all generally flat, and it felt a bit lame. Stage 2, in that sense, was less wide so the high areas felt closer towards the action, and generally felt more fun. :)

Also, and I mentioned in feedback, I think the upwards lighting was lame - it was putting me to sleep. Maybe use dustbowl lighting, with that red-ish tint. Might look a bit more exciting.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
hey egan.

thanks for the feedback you've given.

overall, when i was playing on stage two, i was feeling the same about that doorway. it's out of place, and if anything makes attackers not stick to the bomb when it gets past that point of the map.

it's a hangover from the cp version, and really doesn't fit in here.
i was considering a lock on it until after the garage door point gets capped, but i may just remove it and move the staircase to the other side so it meets the platform that abuts the garage roof.

i do like the potential idea of a high ground flank though. so i might play with the geometry here.

also that aside, i'm not 100% happy with stage3's finale point. probably would be better to rework it. maybe get the bomb to drop on the antenna itself as an ending, although i'd need to get it animated then, which kinda turns me off from the idea.

i agree the skybox/lighting could use some work. maybe adding some subtle orange to the sun lighting would help, as upward lighting is indeed quite plain.

with stage1, i think i could do with opening it up a bit more. particularly in the 2nd half of the map. again this is a hangover from CP, where the attackers needed more cover to be able to push to the cap zone. with the bomb cart as a moving capzone, this becomes less necessary.
i should, as you say put some more height variation that actually matters in the stage1 area.
i think for the 1st cp of the stage it's probably ok (you've got the conveyor belt model and the building on either side that are scalable), but i'll spend some time staring at the 2nd area.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
so i've made some changes in the pathing to hopefully give red better flow in stages 1 and 2
also i've amended some of the pick ups too

i've switched the ambient lighting colours to that of dustbowl

and some clipping tweaks

i've made that door we were looking at less relevant by removing staircase access to it

i'm not certain on everything yet, but i need to see how things play out with these changes before i do anything more.