'Can't load vvis_dll.dll / vrad_dll.dll' Error

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
Ever since the Jungle update, I have not been able to compile maps properly. Whenever I try, I get the following messages in the compile log:
Code:
** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -threads 3 -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\dr_islands_a1"

vvis launcher error: can't load vvis_dll.dll
The specified procedure could not be found.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -threads 3 -StaticPropLighting -StaticPropPolys -TextureShadows -ldr -final -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\dr_islands_a1"

vrad_launcher error: can't load vrad_dll.dll
The specified procedure could not be found.
vbsp and bspzip both work fine, but vvis and vrad do not.

Of course I googled around and found that this bug effected CS:GO players previously, but that was then fixed in a subsequent patch to their SDK. In the mean time, all other advice has been to delete the effected .ddl files and to verify the game so that they get re-downloaded. I have tried this and it has not worked.

Another option, as recommended in this post, is to download Source SDK 2013 and to copy the contents of the 'common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin' folder to TF2's bin folder. I gave this a try and it has not worked either.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has encountered this issue and found a way to fix it, and if so how? However I suspect this is something we'll need to report to Valve about and hope they release a fix for it soon.

Crrrrrrystal

L1: Registered
Jan 1, 2017
I have not had this issue using CompilePal, if you haven't tried this yet I recommend it.

One other thing that I've seen work is launching the game using -insecure, as the vvis.dll file might not be validated properly yet.

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
I have not had this issue using CompilePal, if you haven't tried this yet I recommend it.
CompilePal doesn't have it own compilers, it just makes use of the same ones. All CompilePal does provide a better user interface for deciding what and how to compile.
One other thing that I've seen work is launching the game using -insecure, as the vvis.dll file might not be validated properly yet.
That doesn't even make sense. The compilers are run before TF2 itself is loaded, and are not required to make TF2 itself run.

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
OK so it appears to have been fixed in yesterdays patch. Don't know if it was an intentional fix or if it happened to repair itself. I suspect the 2nd, as I didn't see any explicit mention of Hammer, VVIS or VRAD mentioned in the change log.

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
I'm not sure how or why, but it has started working for me again. Not sure if its a temporary fix or if has genuinely been fixed by the dev team, but I'm making the use of it while I can