Brushwork Tips Thread

Fewer

L1: Registered
Jan 14, 2018
I'm creating this thread to hopefully get together a list of good practices and things to watch out for when laying down brushes in your map. The DOs and DON'Ts of brushwork.

I've been working on a map for about a week and I have little to no consistency when using brushes. I need a door, cut one in. I need a wall, I drag it out. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it always leaves me with mess of brushes crammed into and on top of each other, brushes off-grid and while it does come together to make a map, it makes editing areas or buildings a frustrating pain in the ass, which I'm sure is a feeling way-too-familiar for new mappers.

This is not only to help me out but anyone who might find this thread in the future.

Last edited:

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
..and then maybe drag it 7 hammer units to the left. Then another 26 up.

Dude, these are some wack measurements. The best tip I can give you right now is to stick to 4, 8, or 16 grid size for the majority of your mapping process. Gives you a lot less headaches down the line.

Fewer

L1: Registered
Jan 14, 2018
Dude, these are some wack measurements. The best tip I can give you right now is to stick to 4, 8, or 16 grid size for the majority of your mapping process. Gives you a lot less headaches down the line.

You're not wrong. That was a bit of an exaggeration to be honest, I've taken it out from the main thread because I dont want all the replies to just be focusing on that. I was just trying to think of examples of mistakes new mappers make. 4, 8 or 16 is still good advice tho

Last edited:

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Don't use Carve or Hallow. It's generally cleaner and better practice to make doorways and rooms yourself as they can lead to some odd and problematic brushwork. Also try not to have brushes go through each other unless they have to for anything visible. Brushes used for hints and Skips or triggers are fine for that but anything visual it can be messy. Also try to keep your brush vertex's on grid. It can make angled brushes a pain to work with but it's all around better to do.