Brushes are pitch black?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ArkTiK, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ArkTiK

ArkTiK L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So essentially when I compile my map everything aside from my props is pitch black. I do have proper lighting/env_light but my brushes don't light up.

I checked the compile log, the closest thing I could find was a bad displacement, removed it but the problem still persists.

http://i.imgur.com/8NbW0.png - picture of the issue.

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    What was the issue with the displacement--invalid solid? Did you destroy the face or rebuild the brush?

Without more info I'm just gonna direct you to this http://www.interlopers.net/errors

3. ArkTiK

Positive Ratings:
    It was an invalid and i destroyed it, haven't replaced it yet. Don't have any major errors aside from that, checked for leaks ect.

Really not sure what to do.

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    If it was an invalid solid you need to delete the brush itself and rebuild it entirely. That's most likely the issue.

Use Alt + P to check for more invalid brushes.

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Sometimes func_detailing displacements does this too... Had this happen on backlot once, it registered as an invalid solid...

Hilarity ensued.

6. ArkTiK

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm having this issue again, before it was just a displacement.

This time I've destroyed all the displacements + moved to world just to be sure but the map is still black, alt + p comes up with nothing. I'm starting to think this happens every time I start to play with lighting since it started again right after I added a couple spot lights. any other suggestions?