Brushes are pitch black?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ArkTiK, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ArkTiK

ArkTiK L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So essentially when I compile my map everything aside from my props is pitch black. I do have proper lighting/env_light but my brushes don't light up.

I checked the compile log, the closest thing I could find was a bad displacement, removed it but the problem still persists.

http://i.imgur.com/8NbW0.png - picture of the issue.

2. tyler

aa tyler

Positive Ratings:
    What was the issue with the displacement--invalid solid? Did you destroy the face or rebuild the brush?

Without more info I'm just gonna direct you to this http://www.interlopers.net/errors

3. ArkTiK

Positive Ratings:
    It was an invalid and i destroyed it, haven't replaced it yet. Don't have any major errors aside from that, checked for leaks ect.

Really not sure what to do.

4. tyler

aa tyler

Positive Ratings:
    If it was an invalid solid you need to delete the brush itself and rebuild it entirely. That's most likely the issue.

Use Alt + P to check for more invalid brushes.

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Sometimes func_detailing displacements does this too... Had this happen on backlot once, it registered as an invalid solid...

Hilarity ensued.

6. ArkTiK

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm having this issue again, before it was just a displacement.

This time I've destroyed all the displacements + moved to world just to be sure but the map is still black, alt + p comes up with nothing. I'm starting to think this happens every time I start to play with lighting since it started again right after I added a couple spot lights. any other suggestions?