Brook

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Had another quick runthrough because I ♥ you.

pl_brook_a2_p10000.jpg

When I saw these I thought they looked like aliens. There is no point to this, I just wanted to point it out.

pl_brook_a2_p10001.jpg

Need a clip here!

pl_brook_a2_p10002.jpg

With these two doors, add "no entry" sign or some indication you can go through one and not the other

pl_brook_a2_p10003.jpg

Long sightline + Lots of cover = Ravidge Own Zone

pl_brook_a2_p10004.jpg

I feel you could work with this area and add more height variation, it seems very flat atm.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I won't say anything about the sightlines and the doors because you already heared that 1000 times. :p

The 1st point is fine I think but the 2nd point is pretty hard.
Well, once you get at the hill it's a little easier, but to get the cart to the hill is kinda hard. Snipers, soldiers, demomen and sentries on that high floor were a little too overpowered, they were just spamming the 2 exits blu could take out of the hallway thingy between cp1 and cp2.
And as I just said, you only have 2 exits. You should always have 3. I suggest making one higher (maybe side) route.

Also, change something at the red 1 way door, it's kinda stupid that red always can flank blu when they are attacking.

pl_brook_a2_p10000.jpg

Red is the place where snipers soldiers demomen and sentries were.
Blu is the place where you could place a higher route.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
*Get rid of one-way doors. They are just annoying if they arent done exactly right.
*The terrain feels flat and uninspired, even if it's a2, put your buildings on various heights and adjust the ground to fit. Having everything completely level feels dull.
*Chainlink fences are bad in gameplay areas (not always though), they make it impossible to setup behind or to surprise around. Makes the map look unorganized too.
* A lot of the map feels unnecessarily large. Making combat awkward since you basically stand >1024 units away from each other lobbing grenades and shooting rockets while jumping like a retard to avoid the spam.

*The first area is too wide and freestyle for blue. The first big push should be focused, but still allowing alternative paths. See: Badwater, goldrush, dustbowl, halfacre, frontier and others. What I see in Brook is 2 or 3 guys out each gate. Since none of the gates are any different from any other (advantages/disadvantages for classes). I think grazr wrote an article about designing A/D maps? hmm

* second area, which is the red dev building. Empty, probably because of the early alpha, but it's so void of content that it affects gameplay. The distances are too long, and the combat is boring.

* I usually don't complain about sniperlines because maps manage with them, especially A/D maps where the combat moves around. but the final stretch here is actually a bit too long. especially since RED is on a height and can basically see everything, behind a chainlink fence even.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
pl_brook_a2_p10012.jpg

Btw, fix this :p

I like this map. I would like to see this being multi stage map :D

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
You know what. I'm beign so predictable and pedantic. Sightlines. Especially the one Mr Late posted were fucking crazy. Sniper's werent OP too much, just a couple of really long ones that owned. (Me + Blob owned as a medic-snoipah combo <3)

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
You know what. I'm beign so predictable and pedantic. Sightlines. Especially the one Mr Late posted were fucking crazy. Sniper's werent OP too much, just a couple of really long ones that owned. (Me + Blob owned as a medic-snoipah combo <3)

Damn right! <3

I found there to be too little buildings to hide into, and retreat too.
It seemed very spammy. sightliny. But snipers wern't too bad. even if Red had like 6.
Or maybe that was to try to kill me and Midget? :3

StickZer0

&#128153;&#128153;&#128131;&#128153;&#128153;
aa
Nov 25, 2008
-Updated to A3-
Added a higher, side spawn exit to Blue
The river can now douse players who crouch
Added a side exit for the first point
Controlled some sightlines, particularly at the river with a large rock.
Red's one-way gate now locks upon capture of the first point
Added a totally bitchin logsaw which activates when the second point is capped

Last edited:

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
1: You can build there
2.3: Overlapping textures

Feels pretty balanced too. Good job.

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
Super fun map, but you really need to do more stuff with the water. Maybe raise up the blue spawn a bit, and submerge the entire starting area in a bit over waist high water until the first payload ramp.

Also you should make most of the blue buildings out of wood, and the red more industrial, to show a sort of change in scenery as the map progresses.

StickZer0

&#128153;&#128153;&#128131;&#128153;&#128153;
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Super fun map, but you really need to do more stuff with the water. Maybe raise up the blue spawn a bit, and submerge the entire starting area in a bit over waist high water until the first payload ramp.

Also you should make most of the blue buildings out of wood, and the red more industrial, to show a sort of change in scenery as the map progresses.

Firstly, may I ask WHY you think the river should flood the area? From what I can tell it would only slow down gameplay, and either majorly nerf pyros, or confuse players as to where they can douse fire.

Secondly, it's in dev textures >.< I haven't though about texturing it yet, but really, it's not going to start entirely with blue wood and red industrial "to show progression". Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll get round to actually making it pretty in beta

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
-Updated to A4-
Edited the roof outside Blue spawn so Red can't spam both entrances as easily
Added forward spawn
Edited the logging area a bit
Added occluders and hints
Added red's underground base, with spiral cave

Feedback's above ^

lol, you're a bit late :D