Black Mesa Source Screens

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
I have to admit I'm slightly baffled as to what's been taking them so long. It's been in development for what, six years now?
They're trying to preserve the spirit of the original Half Life, with all the original elements, and those elements are what's making them take so long. Specifically, the Valve Time element.

I can't believe it's not Valve Time!

Sep 1, 2009
It looks good at Black Mesa!

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
This is like a Steven King book. And we're all going to find out that their offices have been empty for four years and they're actually all dead.

Numerous

Oct 14, 2009
This is like a Steven King book. And we're all going to find out that their offices have been empty for four years and they're actually all dead.

Then who's been officially saying "just wait a bit, it'll be released soon" on their website? Also, they don't have an office.

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
oh good they finished the tram ride and have started work on Anomalous Materials. Can't wait!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
ok so im lost.

I never played more then an hour of HL so i never knew and still is clueless on the OMG@!!!!@!#$ of the game and its fan base.

From what i can tell this "MOD" is just a complete redo of the first game just.. prettier?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007

ok now I'm highly confused as to why this is so "OMG" for some people?

and...

10000000000000 times confused on how this is taking as long as it is if all they are doing is textured the game.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Well that's not all they're doing D. :lol:

They're rebuilding the whole thing in source from scratch. They've redesigned all of the levels, models, props, animations, sounds and gameplay sequences in line with the newer engine's physics and graphics capabilities.

Essentially what they're doing is building a game as rich and complicated as HL2, except they already have a template of existing locations and plot prescribed for them.

And they're not getting paid to do it. I imagine this is the crucial factor as to why it's taking so very long. Either that or they're raising a small army of mapping babies in their basements to do their modding for them.

The reason that everyone is so excited is because HL one was one of those classic games that changed the way people think about gaming and hence, has huge nostalgia value attached.

The original looks better.

This comment is highly appropriate to your username. :p

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
if this hasn't got the "weapon_penguin" easteregg, it's basically worthless.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
No, that isn't nearly wierd enough for twilight zone. Twilight zone would have an ending where it turns out that I'm the amnesiac president/prime minister for whatever country we're talking about, or something.

Why should we believe you? You're Hitler!

Goombac

Mar 27, 2010
I'd say the most disappointing part of the screens would be the models for the scientists. Their lab coats look way to wrinkly, especially compared to (what I remember of) the trailer.

But I've lost most anticipation for BMS, and did about a year ago or whenever they stopped making blog posts and updating it with new information. Not to say that I won't download it the first day it came out, but I really don't care when it's released anymore.