Black Mesa Source Screens

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Leminnes, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
  2. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Meh. Doesn't look as good relatively as when the project first started : /

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    img 4. WTF is up with his fingers!?

I did like the added touch of having a young Kleiner and Eli, though Kleiner might be a bit too young.

4. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    Kleiner should still be bald, but with brown hair, maybe a little grey around the edges.

5. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some of it is a definite improvement and really stands out, like the new models and some of the areas.

Others are like "What the hell, that's really lame."

Seems to lack a overall equality in quality. There are some screens that combine two things, like one with the guard in a control room (forgot which one it was). The guard looks fantastic, but the area around him? Looks straight out of HL:Source. >:L

6. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    You guys are a pessimistic bunch. I think it looks fantastic. It's also still not finished.

7. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Trespasser effect.

8. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    There are some bits that look damn fantastic and make you really want to play this.

Then you see this and think "what the hell is up with the lighting there?"

A lot of the pictures are mostly ambient point based lighting based, and that just looks horrible. There are parts where the lighting is quite nice, but overall it just doesn't wow me too much. All because of the dull lighting.

9. Retroid

Retroid L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    They need to tone down the colours in the lighting a bit, some parts looks really, erm green...

Edit: Great minds and all that...

10. Da_Man

Da_Man L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    It looks good in some places, and kinda "eh" in some areas. But considering this has been in the works for 2-3 years now, I'd expect more. Looks nice, but nothing that gets me really excited.

11. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    It's been in the works for longer.

12. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    It's ALIVE!

13. Jakkarra

Jakkarra L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I do hope people don't OverHype this.

It would be a shame for people to disregard the game due to them having an Unreachable expectation of it.

14. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Too late. I'm expecting the most beautiful, most intelligent, most incredible FPS I've ever played, but I know that's not possible, especially with what they've shown.

15. Ankh

Ankh L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Apparently not only was it leaked, but half the stuff in the screenshots was taken on medium settings and/or unfinished, hence why it was taken down.

But they're still beautiful to me.

16. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    my thoughts to this is, it doesnt look as good now as it did when it first started. technology has changed ALOT since then and it just seems outdated now.

on the other hand... the last pic looks as if it has... 3D??

17. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, that's a big leak. There's more screenshots there than there are on the blackmesa site. :lol:

Considering none of these people are getting paid for their work and considering they're giving the mod away for free (when it's obviously enough content for a whole game), I think it looks fantastic. Sure the lighting doesn't look the best in a few places, but are you really going to care when you're reliving classic moments from HL in new, source engine based glory?

EDIT: AgenT, I don't think it's 3D, I think it's just a colour separation effect they're using momentarily for a damage effect. I might well be wrong though.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  18. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    Well, yeah, because it looks like the original in terms of lighting, just with rounder edges and sharper textures.

I've never finished HL:Source, I got up to the place where the army comes and started finding it a bit difficult and gave up, and I've been waiting for this so I can play Half Life properly and on a nicer engine.

19. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I got lost in the lambda facility

20. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I wasn't all that impressed with the level design, though the textures and most of the models were decent.

Obviously they used their best stuff on the site media, but heh.... i was expecting a little more. Especially since it looks exactly like it did 2 years ago.