Beta update 4/26/2011

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
Milkgun is just another attempt at far-away healing like the crossbow, but if I'm in range to reliably use it with another player, I should just heal them. I would rather see each hit add 1% Ubercharge instead.

Bonesaw is just... odd. Why not make it a class feature, like they did with Spy?

Sniper Rifle is just NO. Swap the two things (faster charge on miss, slower charge on hit), and even though it'd be a noobgun, it wouldn't make god snipers more godly. How about doing something along the lines of the Huntsman, and actually ADDRESSING issues? Like another gun that can do a lot more on the front-lines than in the back?

Sniper club... lolwut.

The Rocket Launcher's main ability, I think, would be better on an actual Medigun than on the Soldier. Make a Medigun that has no Ubercharge, but when the Medic is killed, whoever he was healing gets 8 seconds of crits. Combine it with an interesting healing mechanic, like 200% overheal or you heal an equal amount. Sure, it'd encourage kamikaze medics, but Sollys don't need or could necessarily USE that mechanic.

The shotgun is just asking to never be used outside of comp. Rarely in pubs does a medic pocket a solly, so you're stuck with slower switching in the rare hopes that you get a slight boost when you're using it. (Which is usually when you're out of rockets) Make the boost bigger, or get rid of the drawback.

And WHY ARE THE EQUALIZER CHANGES NOT ALREADY IN?! FFS

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Its a beta update: Doesn't mean this shit is gonna be in the game.

In fact, it means they wanted to test if this shit would be ok before they did it, and they probably will find its just silly.

Remember when they doubled everyone's HP in the beta? Did that get into the game?

Or half the original beta weapons?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Better Beta Sniper Rifle
on headshot: +50% charge
-50% bawdyshot damage

something like that

NinjillaX

L3: Member
Apr 4, 2011
But why would they even think some of these should be tested? Random stuff like the Kukri is just useless, and the Rocket Launcher (Pocket Launcher, that was a good one) is very OP, you dont need to test that. I understand the beta is to test some of the weider stuff, but it scares me they even think some of that stuff is worth testing... also, detonating flaregun should be official :)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
My guess is that they got a bunch of Contribute weapons and are now testing possible stats for them. I guess it's better than just sticking them right into the real game, and like I said before they're pretty much obligated to keep adding weapons every few months until the end of time to justify the Contribute system being there.

Incidentally, Trotim, I don't think you're wrong about casual players loving all these new weapons. The game's whole appeal to casual players in the first place was its relative simplicity. Anyone could find a class whose default weapons suited their preferred play style, and dealing with the other classes was relatively easy to learn. Now there are, what, close to 100 different weapons in the game that everyone has to know about?

"Casual" isn't just a euphemism for "likes stupid stuff".

Mariner

L2: Junior Member
Jan 16, 2011
Terrible ideas, but they're at least doing what they said they intended to do, experiment.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
--- April 28, 2011 ---

A note about new weapon designs:

• In our on-going effort to include the community in more of our design process, we're starting to introduce item designs that are very rough and/or experimental. If you don't like a particular design, we'd love to hear feedback on the kinds of changes that would make the item interesting to you.

Gameplay:
  • Medic:
    • Beta Syringe Gun
      • Increased Mad Milk duration to 2 seconds
      • Damage penalty reduced to 50% (from 10%), which means the medic now gains health on hit
  • Sniper:
    • Beta Sniper Rifle 1
      • Bonus structure changed
        • 25% charge rate bonus on bodyshot
        • 45% charge rate bonus on headshot
        • 65% charge rate penalty on miss
      • The charge rate now resets to default upon death
      • The charge rate is now unaffected by shots fired while unzoomed
  • Soldier:
    • Beta Pocket Rocket Launcher
      • Now deals mini-crits instead of crits
      • Time of mini-crit bonus reduced to 6 seconds from 8
    • Beta Pocket Rocket Launcher 2
      • New rocket launcher option
      • +15% ubercharge rate for the medic healing you. This effect does not work in the respawn room
      • -10 health on hit
    • Beta Pocket Rocket Launcher 3
      • New rocket launcher option
      • 50% faster reload time while being healed by a medic
      • -10 health on hit
    • Beta Pocket Shotgun
      • Damage bonus reduced to 20% from 25%
      • Deploy time penalty increased to 30% from 25%
General:
  • Fixed install issues on the Mac

Mar 23, 2010
the pocket launchers are all bad, -10 hp on hit is hardly a downside as it builds up uber faster + you are being healed anyways. #1 flat out rewards you for being bad.

not to mention they completely rely on a single class which i dont really like. the shotty can stay i guess, it's just a secondary. :p

the sniper rifle is kind of on the OP side, should just reward getting headshots, and veryvery slightly reward bodyshots, and punish misses of course.

the syringe gun is weird, kind of like a tweaked blut.

NinjillaX

L3: Member
Apr 4, 2011
Rocket Launchers are still weird, as most of them require healing to even be worth a use, all of them pocket launchers still. But better than it was before.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Why would a Medic mad milk people. Eww enema

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Sniper Kukri is just random stats. 81 damage at half health or lower instead of the stock 65, 49 damage when above. Not only does it barely make a difference (other than you can't kill Spies in two melee hits anymore and even then all Snipers use the Bushwacka to just make it 1 hit) but the mechanic makes no sense on Snipers. Much like the Bushwacka's.

The Sniper Rifle has very messy stats and once again screws with all sense of timing Snipers and their enemies learned over the past 3 years. That said it'd be an upgrade to the normal rifle as good Snipers only go for quick headshots anyway. If anything it will make Snipers use this 24/7 and stock rifle users will be labelled noobs, making it more difficult and frustrating to play well again.

100% Agree as a loving sniper. :)

Sep 1, 2009

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
The sniper rifle seems like an invitation to do lots of bodyshots, at least when it comes to 125-hp enemies.

Why? Because against most (125-hp) enemies, a headshot with extra charge is just overkill. But if your tactic is bodyshots, the extra charging makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
Ugh. I hate medics who have their beams glued to the ass of one person. This is a fuck-you to people who try to encourage team work.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I actually like the Pocket Shotgun because it encourages better use of it as a sidearm and to make Soldiers better Medic buddies but none of the Pocket Rocket Launchers are un-retarded.