Best Rock Texture for this situation?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ROFLsnakes, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ROFLsnakes

ROFLsnakes L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've been contemplating on what looks best on these HUGE walls I'm putting in my map.The beginning starts in a canyon so the texture needs to look nice when used on large faces.In the picture I have winter themed rock wall texture.The texture is also at a scale of 1 for both x and y.Also the map is alpine style.

So any tips? (If pictures don't work-right click and select open in new tab/window).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Displacements, dude, you need them.
    You need a shitton of them.

3. ROFLsnakes

Positive Ratings:
    well yeah I know that thanks :p. I want to put the rock texture in first.Different textures look different with different displacements.

4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    For huge walls, I'd suggest using a simple rock texture, that doesn't have nearly as much.

There were some in the bulletcrops pack that i think could work pretty well, but other than that,
    nightfall/cliffwall and a lot of the textures in the /rockwall series seem good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ROFLsnakes

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks Element, wasn't sure about the nightfall texture.It may be really dark in comparison to bluish/white walls I have,not sure though.I'll look at the bulletcrop textures.

Here's the Link for those reading this and wondering where/what it is

http://www.minerality.fr/bulletcropsproject/bulletcrops/

6. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Well, the thing is that the nightfall one is a re-skinned version of some of the /rockwall textures. I wasn't sure what style your map was, so i included it for safety's sake.

7. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    I think the texture you have in place currently is just fine. It may look bad now, but once you turn them into displacements and you start getting some shadows going on it'll look a lot better.

Along those lines, take a note of where the sunlight is coming from in your map. If the sunlight is hitting the wall head on, you won't get any shadows. If the sunlight is coming in from an angle, you start to get some nice texturing.

It's important to think of now because changing it later on requires rotating your entire map by 90 degrees, which can cause a whole bunch of headaches with brushes not being on the grid.

(technically you can just change the angle of the sunlight to whatever you want, but then the map lighting won't match the location of the sun in the skybox which looks kind of weird)