Basic

engoldin

L2: Junior Member
Apr 10, 2009
I'm thrilled that you guys decided to include the map in your rotation. The fall damage complaint is one that I was hesitant to repair but I've gotten it from multiple people and have since taken steps to resolve it.

Cp_basic_a4 includes fans beneath the respawn room drop that slow the players decent and for the most part, prevent the fall damage. It also lends itself to a sort of low gravity environment right below the respawn room. This isn't meant to have any major impact on gameplay and is more of a novelty. The extra space also provided a couple of new sniper/engineer niches which may or may not warrant balancing.

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
The regular rotation is 100% based on the ratings of the map on my server. If it gets an average rating of over 3/5 it gets in the regular rotation.

I'll get the map updated for my play test next week. I am adding a ton of maps this week so it may not get tested but if you join the server while I am I will make sure it gets played while you are around.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Hey angry.. I was just wondering if it would be possible to schedule a time during your peak hours to run the map. I'd really like to stop by and listen in on the server as they play and maybe ask some questions. Let me know.

captainAngry

Feb 1, 2009
If you are around when the server is populated and you message me on steam I can set it to the next map no problem. If you want, I could setup SourceTV so you could watch the game like that or I could even record a feed of your map for you and post it.

This doesn't even have to be on the play test. I can update the version of your map whenever and play test it for you whenever you are available.

This goes for anyone and any map. Just be aware that if people don't like their map the majority of the comments are going to be stuff like "this map is shitty" and "the map maker should Die in a fire". I can coax constructive criticism out of a good number of my regulars but you get what you get. Ask GrimGriz if you don't belive me.

Last edited:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
^He speaks truth :)

Be prepared to be flamed ;) until captain cracks the whip, he's good at keeping the masses in line.

the cC crew is friendly but honest. Some fun maps seem to go over well, others don't.

I played this the other night. I never really liked the other vers of Iceworld and this one wasn't much different. It's a simple layout so it's very familiar, didn't really notice anything different per se other than textures.

Warmonger is hard enough to avoid, but playing this he was just raining rockets down on my head everytime I walked out of spawn, and if he wasn't Plastic was there flaming me, and if he wasn't they were both attacking me. So a generally not-so-fun experience. Then there was kekekekeke... with the headshots when I tried to sticky jump.

I can see this one being on fun servers, and in that context it could be fun.

Generally though this layout just has little to offer alot of classes and alot to offer
a few classes.
snipers have long sights from almost anywhere. soldiers are perfect, they can jump high enough to be above everyone and not take too much damage from the jump. scouts can get in/out of range fast.

everyone else has to avoid long sitelines from sniper, has to try and hide from rockets along the edge of the blocks. demos take too much damage jumping and by the time you get close to the other side you are almost dead anyway.
--------
But like I said, if you just wanna play a fun map it can be fun.

captainAngry

Feb 1, 2009
Original (Sgt Frag), I almost put your name in for someone to ask too but I figured grim was a better example because of all the shit he has taken for BOTG.

Anyway engoldin, I updated your map on my server to a4 so whenever you catch me on steam and have some time, let me know.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah, I gave him a hard time about it too. Its a fairly complicated set-up.

I never got too much slack. Mainly just 'OMG ARENA WTF' stuff. But I've got that as much or more on the tf2 map gamedays. LOL. I expect it would be about the same for this one, some people whining about 'fun map' but that's expected if you make arena/sniper/jump... maps.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Fair is fair. The layout of the map is simple but adapting a map from the CSS format to that of TF2 is by no means strait forward. A lot of the the gameplay draws upon the gameplay basics that fy_iceworld boasted but I've added a few touches of my own. The map isn't for everyone. In a semi-crowded environment, it just doesn't offer the same space and time to plot and maneuver that most TF2 maps do. If that isn't for you it isn't for you.

My hope, is that it's for a lot of people. My hope is that the map can bend somewhat to accommodate both casual and competitive play. My hope is that one can sit back and just kill the enemy if one is so inclined, and still contribute to their team's chance at victory OR viciously and singlemindedly attack the point. And I wouldn't mind if the map stood out. I think it's accomplished some but not all of these.

I think it's good. I know it could be better. There's nothing like fresh eyes. Is there anything specifically that you dislike about it or is it just the "style" of map it is?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
While i understand the falling out of the spawn and the fans what i would do is actually get ride of the push trigger, keep the fans *for aesthetics* and just make a no fall dmg brush on the bottom. This would solve the falling slowly out of the spawn and getting sniped.

I would like to see some cover up top, as a Sniper i feel the second someone goes uptop or to either side of the map they're dead, It feels Very sniper friendly to me.

As far as classes go, i really didnt see much use to Eng.. Yes they are needed to get up top, but for sentries it seemed rough. I've only done one testing of this map so far so i could be wrong, just talking.

Looking good, cant wait to try next build.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Congratulations to me! Cp_basic_b1 is now available for download. Yes you read me correctly. Cp_basic has now entered beta. Fair number of new changes including the ability to jump into the enemies spawn after the player's team wins the round.

As always changelog, download link, and version number have been updated. I'm going to get some fresh screenshots up in a minute or two here. Basic isn't the most picturesque level on the block but it's due for some new ones so I'll oblige it. Thanks for playing. You guys are great. Hope you enjoy cp_basic_b1!

captainAngry

Feb 1, 2009
We played this today. Engoldin was on the server when we were testing so I won't leave to detailed of feedback but all and all B1 is a good improvement over the last alpha we tested.

We talked about altering the spawn area a bit to correct some of the issues with the fans and I heard a few good ideas some out so I am sure this issue will get solved. Send me a message when this gets updated because I know my members are looking forward to the next update.

iciz

Mar 17, 2009
CP_BASIC

cp_basic_a1-2

Art:

- All non-TF2 textures have been replaced.

This is incorrect. The metal plate texture near the doors and around the control point is from half-life 2. When selecting textures in hammer type “tf” in the [keywords:] box first. This will filter it to only show you tf2 textures. In the [Filter] box you can also narrow down the search even more by material type. For example you could put “metal” in there to show only.. you guessed it!

Icewold worked in Counter-Strike because of it's core twitch game mechanics and the fact that everyone had the same ability to move around the map. TF2 is a completely different beast. Each class has very different abilities. This makes creating a death-match style map that benefits everyone much more difficult and complex, if not impossible.

I think the simplistic nature of the design is the main problem here as far as making it fun for every class and play style. It works for other games because everyone shares the same basic abilities, but for tf2 in the end you only benefit a few classes unless you make the design more complex, defeating the original purpose.

Just my thoughts on it anyway.:laugh:

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to look at the map and to post your feedback. The effort is greatly appreciated. I'll make a point of filtering textures in the way that you described. Iceworld works for a lot of reasons. Though I think the reason you've identified played a roll, it seems shortsighted to sum up the strengths of its design in such simple terms. As to you're concerns, they are concerns that I shared, and were a part of the appeal for me when I first decided to take on this project. I like a challenge.

Engineers in particular upset the counter strike play style immensely. That does not mean, though, that the layout of CS maps cannot find a harmony with TF2 style gameplay. I believe that it can and has in this project. It doesn't just happen. But if the mapper is open mined, creative, and lucky, then it CAN happen. The feedback I've received so far has been overwhelmingly and unexpectedly positive. May I ask if you've played the map?

captainAngry

Feb 1, 2009
Just wanted to post a quick comment. We were playing a map yesterday that had a complicated way of giving the team points over time and someone said "It's maps like these that really make me appreciate Basic".

While it may not be fun for everyone, it is certainly going to be a server favorite for us. I have my server set to do four rounds on each map. This map caps quick and the rounds are relatively short. Maps like these, that are complete mayhem and madness, are invaluable to breaking up the server rotation and giving people a break from more serious game play.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
It's a pleasure to hear from you as always captain. A mapper is glad to have his map played no matter the reason behind its popularity. It is an even greater joy, for a mapper, when his map is played and appreciated in the ways he intended.

I'd like the map to be viable from competitive/serious play but the casual low pressure feel that your server appears to have taken to was equally important to me. I'm glad to know that I met at least that part of my goal. I think that I may have managed to achieve both but I haven't had the opportunity to test the map against a highly competitive populous yet. In time.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Just pushed up cp_basic_b1-1. This build is exactly the same as cp_basic_b1 but one irritating bug has been repaired. It's all in the changelog. This is going to be the last cp_basic iteration for a while.

I'm making some very major changes and all but rebuilding the level from scratch. Rest assured that the new basic, when it is unveiled, will be as similar to the original as I am able to make it. I'll post more details later. Trust me when I say that you're going to like the new one when I release it. :) Thanks for playing.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
cp_basic_revamp

Cp_basic is currently undergoing an art/design overhaul. For all intensive purposes, I'm building the map again from scratch.

I'm going to do my best to keep gameplay-affecting design the same but will be adding some things, correcting some things, and overhauling art in a major way. It's a lot of work and is taking a lot of time and energy.

In the interim I thought some of you might like a peak at what I'm working on.

Keep in mind that this is not playable AT ALL. It is merely a compiled version of what I have so far. I'm about halfway done. Most of what you see I wont be changing but some of it I'm still playing around with.

Here's the link: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1352.

Enjoy and please tell me what you think. No changelogs will be provided until an official build is released.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Screenshots!

NEW SCREENSHOTS!

Hey guys. I noticed that you let cp_basic drop all the way to page 4. Tsk Tsk. Anyhow, since I've been under the radar for a while here I decided to go ahead and post some screenshots of what I've been working on. These are not fully detailed but that are pretty final renditions of what each "base" will look like. Of course the four pillars will appear in the center of the map as usual. Please note that the current download is not of the environment depicted in these screenshots. The new basic is not functional and ready for test just yet. Soon..... soon.

Last edited:

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
the screens look very nice, i'll have to download the new version and check it out. I don't even know when the last time i tried this place was...if ever to be truely honest!

i know, facepalm