Basic

engoldin

L2: Junior Member
Apr 10, 2009
The most recent version posted for download was before I began a major graphics/ gameplay update... Basically I rebuilt it from scratch. Please check it out but when the new one drops it wont bear much resemblance to the original save for gameplay and basic geometric design.

Preciate the encouragement on the aesthetics. There's some really good looking stuff out there and sometimes it makes me sadface about my own work. Can't be good at everything :).

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
Preciate the encouragement on the aesthetics. There's some really good looking stuff out there and sometimes it makes me sadface about my own work. Can't be good at everything :).

Being good just takes time, if you put in the time the will get the results. Hang in there and it'll come to be the level of those other maps. I too get intimidated when i see maps like *cough* Grinder *cough* and just think "my god, i dont know if i can ever create something that in depth."

But just keep diligent with it, keep trying new things and eventually you'll get something you like. :p

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
The new basic is here!

So I've been working on a complete redesign of cp_basic for some time now and have finally completed what I consider to be a playable/testable version of the new content.

The download link, screenshots, and changelog have been updated accordingly. Likewise, I've added a little blurb at the start of the map called "New Content." I'd say more but I'm already semi-late to a mid afternoon showing of Terminator so I'll post some more stuff later. Hope you guys like it.

Termaximus

Jan 11, 2008
Got a chance to play today. Great improvements. Played two rounds. In first round, Blu won pretty easily but the entire Red team were Spies or Snipers. Second round, Red played good defense and held Blu pretty far back.

Keep up the good work.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
TF2newbs.net ran a playtest for me today with 24 for a little over an hour. Things went really well.

The map certainly doesn't look as basic as it once was, nor does it play as basic but thankfully, it appears to have retained its simple charm. It still feels the same and, though it definitely has some problems (spies being able to teleport into enemy spawns ><) most of them look like they are gonna be pretty easy to fix. I was expecting a long beta as a result of the rework but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

Anything you guys noticed that you thought should be different or would like to see included?

I know I'm pretty determined/set in my ways when it comes to game design but I welcome suggestions and will seriously consider any and all critiques.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
cp_basic_b3 now available

Hey all. Cp_basic_b3 is now available for download. I've made some major changes, done lots of optimizing and re-texturing but I won't bore you with the specifics. New content, screenshots, changelog, and download link have all been updated. As always I'd love to hear anything that anyone has to say regarding the new build (positive or negative). Enjoy.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
In time :) The main reason I haven't gotten to it yet is because I don't really know how to make a 3-D skybox. It's going to happen eventually though. Either I'll learn to do it (bleh) or a friend will take care of it for me. That's your only gripe?! I have more gripes than that...

Kronixx

Apr 17, 2009
Scorecard screenshot when i left on sunday the 31st playtest we had. Very fun stuff! Good work Engoldin.

cpbasicb30000.jpg

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Play my map and you too will acquire copious amounts of points in a limited timeframe!

In all seriousness I've playtested this map 3 times in the last day or two. Two out of three playtests ran for over 2.5 hours. The third had to end after an hour and fifteen because another map was up after mine but people wanted to keep playing. New changes seem to have restored most of the gameplay that made the old version of cp_basic shine. Definitely still have some tweaking to do but the map is comming along. Thanks to any who participated. Always rewarding to know that people are enjoying something you've made. Cheers.

brick

L3: Member
Apr 12, 2008
I was thinking and one way to stop the super jump coming from the water is have a player clip ramp that ends right at the top of the lip. This will prevent players from being launched from that edge. From what I saw if you jump at the right time on the edge you get thrown. You can try it and see.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Ahhh... I bet that's a big factor... they are getting pinched and launching off the vertical... I've seen similar phenomenon in other games. Definately going to look into it. Nice catch. Thanks brick.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
cp_basic_b4 is now available for download. Changelog, download link, and new content have all been updated. Screenshots are old. The map doesn't look exactly the same but I don't think I need to go to the trouble of hosting new screenshots just yet.

This is a pretty big one gameplay wise, light on art. Provided everything goes well in playtesting, my gears should be shifting off of gameplay and toward art and detailing from here on out... You never know though. Please enjoy and tell me what you think.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Just released an interim build... cp_basic_b4-1. New content and changelog are updated if you'd like the details. Download link has been updated as well. Happy hunting.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
NOT FOR PUBLIC PLAY NEW BUILD: cp_basic_b4-3

I've posted a download link to cp_basic_b4-3 at this url. This build is not official, but rather, is an interim release designed to test whether or not a setup time would make the map friendlier to first time players (new to cp_basic). This build is NOT FOR PUBLIC PLAY... but does contain a lot of new art and IS FUNCTIONAL... So if you'd like to check it out feel free.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1625

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009
Played b4-3 last night for Engolden. He stopped by for a bit but didn't catch all the feedback.

The updated top area works well. Snipers can duck through the half open door and help keep the upper area of the middle clear. It doesn't hinder things too much because you don't really have a good shot on the CP from up there. It would do some good to make it a little more sniper friendly up there. Since you have to duck to snipe out that door, you are pretty much a sitting duck.

The setup wall seemed to work well although I did miss it a few rounds. You can rocket jump and demo jump over the wall (which I understand was intended) but before you can really figure that out or make any use out of the wall, it is gone. I suggest adding a little more time for the wall to be there.

You could also make the wall an object that has to be broken by the players. Something that doesn't take a whole lot of time but would give the teams an opportunity to setup before they approach the other team. I don't think this would have any negative impact because the other team could break your teams wall if they want to attack you so you wouldn't have a ton of time to setup anyway. Just a thought.