Basic props question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Gigins, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Gigins

Gigins L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello!

I run across weird problem with 1 prop I used, at least it's weird for me. The prop look ok at start, but when I damage it, it turn out all bright purple like when you have no cubemaps. I have a cubemap in that room and I run the "buildcubemaps" in console but it stays the same. How do I fix this, or maybe I can make it invincible or something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    well...clearly you should learn to not be mean to your props...

but yeah...only 2 things come to mind, recreate the prop, or make sure its a prop static (i think that prop is meant to be static...)

EDIT: forget about the prop static thing...i just looked closely at the 2nd pic...

3. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    hey,
    I used that prop too and the same happens.. Maybe you have to place it somewhere you can't reach it and where you can't shoot at it?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  4. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    What is the name of that prop? I want to see if i can re-create it.

5. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks like a broken vmt/texture. Model shows correct?

6. Gigins

Gigins L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Prop static.. right! I'm really new to source mapping. Thanks guys. I don't want it to be dynamic. :p

7. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    It's under props_2fort I believe. It's unfinished prop by valve. It has gibs but they are not textured. Looks like valve don't want to have much breakables in tf2.

8. [INC] Zodiac

[INC] Zodiac L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You're doing nothing wrong it's just your computer, do you have High Dynamic Range set to off? Try turning it on.

9. Apom

Apom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    That is the reason indeed, if yoou look in the gibs subdirectory yoiu will see that textures are lacking. I'm surprised that it breaks at all if it's a prop-static (I thought it needed to be dynamic), but hey.

I would recommend enclosing the prop in a tightly fit invisible square brush so that it can't be shot at, and hence not broken.

10. Psyphil

Psyphil L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    it doesn't break as static, he had it dynamic first but now the problem is fixed by turning it into a static prop

11. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    It's piece of cut material that's suddenly got released with the game. Check out proto_train model btw.