Badwater Rain Alpine

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
This looks so reverse awesome that we should nominate this as an official Valve community map.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
that hurts,
i wish i could kick all edits

anyone opening up the valve-sourcemaps for anything other than research should be steambanned for all eternity :/

No, they shouldn't be banned. Did you read Valve's blog?

"By allowing you to alter or edit an existing map, as opposed to being forced to start from scratch. For example, you could start by fine-tuning cover in Goldrush, alter the layout of Granary, or tweak the amount of health and ammo in Gravelpit. Or maybe you just have a ton of ideas on how you think you could improve Hydro or 2Fort. We'd love to see what you come up with."

~Valve

And I know who much you guys worship Valve's words. Cp_badwater is actually a lot of fun. The points need to be moved just a bit but other then that is has the potential to be as or even more fun then pl_badwater.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I'm not exactly a PRO MAPPER or anything so my word on the subject won't matter much, but I don't see the big deal about maps like these. I don't APPROVE of trying to pass maps like these off as legitimate work, but I don't think they should be forbidden, especially stuff like this that's obviously supposed to be a gag. I don't like people who try to pass things like these off as excuses for actual full map releases and try to act as if doing reskins or gamemode changes takes an especially large amount of effort, but when it's "just for fun" stuff like this is I don't see the problem at all.

I mean, know someone who pretty good with mapping who is working on "ctf_turbine_sprinkers" to make fun of the heavy amount of rain maps. I hope he actually finishes and releases it, just because it sounds too funny to pass up.

Zanpa

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 17, 2009
I don't like people who try to pass things like these off as excuses for actual full map releases and try to act as if doing reskins or gamemode changes takes an especially large amount of effort,
That's why I hate pl_dbheights. A couple of horrible buildings added to Dustbowl, and this guy "has created a map lolol".

At least, when one keep the original name, it doesn't say "hey it's my work".

kankle_king

Jan 31, 2009
I know this is kind of a 'joke' map, but I know if there was an alpine rain pl_badwater we would play it all the time. We play badwater almost everyday and something new would just be fun. Totally gimmicky and ripped off, but I mean its something else which is cool to me.

PS- this bsp doesn't even work, can't even look around. If you retextured/themed pl_badwater it would be cool.

santoriin

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2008
That's why I hate pl_dbheights. A couple of horrible buildings added to Dustbowl, and this guy "has created a map lolol".

At least, when one keep the original name, it doesn't say "hey it's my work".

except he did almost exactly what they suggested in the blog
For example, you could start by fine-tuning cover in Goldrush, alter the layout of Granary, or tweak the amount of health and ammo in Gravelpit. Or maybe you just have a ton of ideas on how you think you could improve Hydro or 2Fort. We'd love to see what you come up with.

I mean yea, he should completely pass it off as original work, but man, anyone with half a brain and see its a dustbowl edit. But he didn't just add a payload cart, he messed with cover and added a few buildings and that's exactly what they suggested people should do. And it shouldn't be called dustbowl -- because it's not dustbowl. I almost think you guys would be more pissed if he did call it that.

Aug 19, 2008
No, they shouldn't be banned. Did you read Valve's blog?

read it, which doesn´t mean i have to agree with it, and i believe they should have just released them without encouraging rip-offs, since the tf2 mapping scene, which we are proof of, is very much alive.
let´s say you made a map which might have made a mapcycle on a server, but instead of chosing your hard work and balanced map, the server admins decide on a retextured version of pipeline, would you be happy about it?
I most certainly wouldn´t

Zanpa

Jan 17, 2009
I can't read anywhere in this blog post "and realease this as your own work to be played by others".
What I read is that they want beginners to be able to modify a small area of, say, Badwater, and then compile as a full, playable, launchable map to see the results in-game.
I don't think they want you to release this "work" to the public.

An I totally agree with eerieone : they are always supporting the custom mappers ; they wouldn't want to ruin their job.