Another fan made Engineer update

Aki

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 2, 2009
Engineer buildings provide three services to the team - area denial (sentry), supply (dispenser), transport (teleport). Any new buildings need to fit into those roles and for balance an engineer needs to swap out an item of the same type.

The problem is coming up with suitable items within the roles.

Supply is actually easy. If you divide the dispenser's roles in half you can have a medi-dispenser with some boon alongside an ammo dispenser with some boon. Perhaps allow a dedicated medi-dispenser to heal faster and buff people up to 125% max health (compared to the medic's 150%) The ammo-dispenser could serve metal up faster or perhaps overstock allies weapon caches to some degree.

Teleporters are hard to replace primarily because tele's take up to item slots so you need at least 3 replacement items for variety. One obvious one I see a lot is a boost pad which throws allies who jump off of it into the air like a pipe bomb jump (higher the level, higher the jump). That's worth roughly half a teleporter, but beyond that I'm stumped. Maybe a hyper move device that grants a character a boost in speed for a short while (depending on level of the device). It doesn't have to be much to have it's impact felt. Beyond that I've no ideas.

Sentries. Well, there's a lot of room to play with the sentries, but balancing them won't be fun especially once teams of engies start using them together and, if they are smart, mixing different sentry types to cover the shortfalls of the new types.

I'm interested in seeing what valve comes up with.

Mar 23, 2010
Engineer buildings provide three services to the team - area denial (sentry), supply (dispenser), transport (teleport). Any new buildings need to fit into those roles and for balance an engineer needs to swap out an item of the same type.

The problem is coming up with suitable items within the roles.

Supply is actually easy. If you divide the dispenser's roles in half you can have a medi-dispenser with some boon alongside an ammo dispenser with some boon. Perhaps allow a dedicated medi-dispenser to heal faster and buff people up to 125% max health (compared to the medic's 150%) The ammo-dispenser could serve metal up faster or perhaps overstock allies weapon caches to some degree.

Teleporters are hard to replace primarily because tele's take up to item slots so you need at least 3 replacement items for variety. One obvious one I see a lot is a boost pad which throws allies who jump off of it into the air like a pipe bomb jump (higher the level, higher the jump). That's worth roughly half a teleporter, but beyond that I'm stumped. Maybe a hyper move device that grants a character a boost in speed for a short while (depending on level of the device). It doesn't have to be much to have it's impact felt. Beyond that I've no ideas.

Sentries. Well, there's a lot of room to play with the sentries, but balancing them won't be fun especially once teams of engies start using them together and, if they are smart, mixing different sentry types to cover the shortfalls of the new types.

I'm interested in seeing what valve comes up with.

I think they will go with whatever is most fun for the engineer, probably at the expense of the opposing team. I don't think they should be putting their entire focus on buildings - its just too hard!

wouldn't mind a personal teleporter for mobility, like a telenade that you can throw and it instantly teleports you there. probably a pistol unlock.

Tekku

aa
Aug 31, 2008
The only thing that i liked was, animated website design :s

Edit: So no hidden things for me, Eh!

ou2nbl.jpg

Last edited:

The Gentlemanne

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 18, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if this was featured on a blog post tomorrow.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I hate these ideas. I don't see the problem in making a fan-made Engineer update, but if you are going to, please use balanced unlocks? I mean seriously. I for one, with engie being one of my favourite classes would not give up any of my buildings for that load of crap. I don't want building unlocks for the engie, simply weapons/passive unlocks, some of which compliment his buildings or make up for their shortfalls. One Idea I had was a pistol replacement for an offensive engie. It was a dispenser belt, that would heal teammates and give ammo at 80% of a lvl 1's rate. It would also give you a personal ammo regen, but no healing.