Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I couldn't tell any difference between A1 and A2 aside from the health under the bridge so, please, take the feedback you have now, work quietly on the map for a while instead of releasing several alphas with few changes, and try to make some drastic and fundamental changes to the map.

Last edited:

zpqrei

aa
Oct 19, 2008
ALASKA (CTF)
(ctf_alaska_a3)

Gametype: Standard CTF
Players: 2-24 (32 max)
Author: Tom "zpqrei" Pritchard
Contributors: Tim "YM" Johnson
  • Anton "DaBeatzProject" Lecock
  • Frazer "Midget31394" Grant
  • Billy "MrBlob" Hicks
E-mail: Here
Version: Alpha 3.
Download: Link

Changelog:

10th January 2010: Alpha 3.
  • Added deeper water next to the middle bridge.
  • Nearly totally reworked the intel area, hopefully less camping.
  • Removed sewers.
  • Removed ramp from water to mid houses.
  • Added ramp by intel to replace crates.

The Gentlemanne

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 18, 2009
ALASKA (CTF)
(ctf_alaska_a3)

• Billy "MrBlob" Hicks

Changelog:

[*] Removed sewers.

:D

zpqrei

aa
Oct 19, 2008
Started detailing here and there.

a4_001.jpg

Feb 14, 2008
ALASKA (CTF)
(ctf_alaska_a3)

• Billy "MrBlob" Hicks

Changelog:

• Removed sewers.

Where is "made map shorter" and "added more lateral gameplay/made map more open."

:bored:

This map is nowhere near a stage of "heh look random detailing :D" yet.

EDIT:
For reference
problem.JPG

Last edited:

zpqrei

aa
Oct 19, 2008
ALASKA (CTF)
(ctf_alaska_a4)

• Billy "MrBlob" Hicks
Version: Alpha 4.

Changelog:

11th January 2010: Alpha 4.
  • Added some displacements
  • Start of detailing.
  • Fixed sign showing wrong team colour.
  • Optimised a bit of RED side that didn't get all the optimisation-love that BLU did.
  • Simplified base further.
  • Added another stair to the intel.
  • Lowered windows, can now be walked straight into to go through, rather than requiring a crouch-jump.

iOffline

L1: Registered
Jun 27, 2009
A few thoughts on beta 4 from a solo runthrough.

I appreciate it is early but I should comment that I don't like the spawn room having that door overlay at the back in the middle or the lights on a beam. Just a few personal things worth mentioning just in case they get lost in the details later one.

Room after spawn: This seems rather pointless having an enclosed room here and servers no purpose that I can see. Going outside to the left (blu pov) to the "intelligence" side of things has a room that is far too close to the door. This room shows an "S" connecting room which doesn't do much. It should be combined with the room afterwards similar to that in Turbine giving it a purpose.

Outside near the intel itself, the ramp that leads up here forces you around to the right, that room behind the intel should be pushed back into the corner giving a path around it. On the other side there is a ramp going back down with another (I assume it will be a displacement) that I feel should force you to use the ramp rather than have a similar incline.

The intel location itself feels odd to me, a bit in the middle of nowhere and no features to point it out. I would take that room behind (as I suggested, move it back) and make is a "broken" down older building with the intel in the corner so it feels more natural.

Heading towards the water now from left side (which looks great), there are a few rooms here that feel a little pointless. You walk through them and I can't see anyone using them for much at all. A simple overpass would be more suited or somehow combine this with the middle section more.

The sniper point in the middle either side of the bridge is a nice feature but I feel it could use a few things to block the line of sight to the middle of the map a bit.

Back to the intel taking the right path this time, there are three rooms you pass here, each with absolutely no point that I can see. It then leads into a door that looks completely out of place, more suited to Yukon than a CTF map. Left of this is a room with two ramps and a computer in the middle. I feel these ramps are far too steep currently.

The room before that with the two stairs (lower point in the water to get to the far right) has a room that goes up two levels with ramps. These are tucked away too much so something like the last CP in Badwater would be better (I might need a screenshot if you can't find that).

The last thing is the bridge in the middle of the map. I quite like this but it really needs another access point directly to it as suggested earlier. Also, when backtracking, you go up two ramps (to the sniper deck) which are a bit difficult to navigate and should be spread out a bit more.

Feel free to take anything into account and ignore other parts as needed, these are just a few personal opinions so may not be useful. Also, if you can't follow I can try to explain with images as required. Still, a nice map idea if a bit complicated and large (between intel and middle point).

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
The New Alpha 4 feels alot more smooth and direct. Not as complicated.
The Intel room seems somewhat far away, you have to go around to get it. Makes it seem further than it is.
Needs more signage in areas going to the intelligence, I could see the whole base area being confusing.

zpqrei

aa
Oct 19, 2008
Thanks for all the feedback, I've been playing around with ideas for A5, and I was wondering what you thought of this as an alteration?

ss20100112174016.png

The stairs have been rotated, and the other area has been chopped up and made into a balcony. The building has also been pushed 128 units toward the intel to make the area closer to the middle feel a lot bigger:

ss20100112174213.png

Thoughts?

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
That looks good. I can't rightly say how it'll turn out, but it looks good :p

Bslashingu

L2: Junior Member
Jan 29, 2009
Pretty interesting and easy to understand layout, but I don't like the capture area for some reason.

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
Played well today, but like I said, it could use some more variety in the pathways. I can't wait to see how the setting turns out!