Ads in posts?! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Or are you generating money for this community to pay for all the great services we have on it?
i will be putting together an info post with every cent the ad and donation revenue has brought in since our inception back in august 2007.

i can say right now, roughly revenue since 07 has been no more than $300, while expenses have spanned easily over $1000

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
i will be putting together an info post with every cent the ad and donation revenue has brought in since our inception back in august 2007.

i can say right now, roughly revenue since 07 has been no more than $300, while expenses have spanned easily over $1000

Well put :) Translation; Grim, stop being an asshat and trying to pick a fight :p

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
I'm not the most active member, but this website has been invaluable to me for well over a year. I have been a donator for the majority of that time as well. Hell, I can remember having my donation refunded back to me after pulling the trigger too fast on the 6 month subscription before it became 'official' and was still being tested. :D

I should think putting up with a few ads in order to have access to this sort of mapping knowledge AND such a great community is a no-brainer. Not everyone can afford to donate and remove the ads, and that's cool. BUT, to complain about something we get for absolutely free (at the expense of Doc and other donators like myself) is....I guess the best word would be 'selfish'.

You can count on my continued donation for as long as this website is running. Keep doing what you're doing Doc.

Armadillo of Doom

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I'm not the most active member, but this website has been invaluable to me for well over a year. I have been a donator for the majority of that time as well. Hell, I can remember having my donation refunded back to me after pulling the trigger too fast on the 6 month subscription before it became 'official' and was still being tested. :D

I should think putting up with a few ads in order to have access to this sort of mapping knowledge AND such a great community is a no-brainer. Not everyone can afford to donate and remove the ads, and that's cool. BUT, to complain about something we get for absolutely free (at the expense of Doc and other donators like myself) is....I guess the best word would be 'selfish'.

You can count on my continued donation for as long as this website is running. Keep doing what you're doing Doc.

Don't take this wrong way, but I want to sex you up :love: :p

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Well put :) Translation; Grim, stop being an asshat and trying to pick a fight :p

He's not trying to pick a fight. He's trying to point out that ad revenue is not the bottom line. Revenue means nothing if it drives enough members off. Not every visitor is among the fast and true diehards that are posting supporting remarks in this thread.

And while the community definitely needs you guys, it also needs the more casual, less committed visitors as well. If I were a first time visitor and saw those in-text ads peppered everywhere, it would also probably be my last visit to the site.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
He's not trying to pick a fight. He's trying to point out that ad revenue is not the bottom line. Revenue means nothing if it drives enough members off. Not every visitor is among the fast and true diehards that are posting supporting remarks in this thread.

And while the community definitely needs you guys, it also needs the more casual, less committed visitors as well. If I were a first time visitor and saw those in-text ads peppered everywhere, it would also probably be my last visit to the site.
revenue definitely isnt the bottom line, but it would be nice if the site would pay for itself. again, keep in mind that im 'testing' campaigns. nothing is set in concrete and member feedback is welcome and appreciated, but some people's tone in here is certainly displeasing.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
ive cut the testing short and have removed the context ads.

Armadillo of Doom

aa
Oct 25, 2007
It's not often that I get to play devil's advocate :) That in mind, I would go so far as to say that revenue is absolutely the bottom line. For all of the good things this community provides, it's gone in a flash the day there isn't enough money to pay for it. Those first time visitors who get turned off b/c of a particular ad type? I say let'm go. If you're really so picky, then a hobby which requires serious creativity and dedication is not for you, nor is the community that enjoys it.

And Grim, while we may disagree from time to time, I certainly don't hate you ;) If anything, I would encourage you to cease your donations so that you can see all of the ads in full, thus knowing what you are supporting, and whether or not you wish to remain a part of this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.