A little warning about the new models!

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Sadly I learned this the hard way...

Youme, you should use your special email powers to tell Valve about their forgetting to put the models in the TF2 GCF. :p

They're too big! They're too unwieldy! To have them in the TF2 GCF is asking for certain death. You should wait for someone to make functional and reasonable versions of each of them.

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
They're too big! They're too unwieldy! To have them in the TF2 GCF is asking for certain death. You should wait for someone to make functional and reasonable versions of each of them.

I only used the billboard, HS sign, and bobbleheads in my map.

Oh wait, I see what you did there.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Ye somebody please optimize them or ask valve to do something about it becuase these models seem useful...the bad part is they take up so much blood (memory) :( annoying they did 1/2 a good job

I found the gcf!

Steamapps/sourcemodels

Also they're in tf/models/props_movies on my pc so idk why no1 can find em or am i wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 14, 2008
Gamesmaster: You know this exists right?

edit.gif

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
Ye somebody please optimize them or ask valve to do something about it becuase these models seem useful...the bad part is they take up so much blood (memory) :( annoying they did 1/2 a good job

I found the gcf!

Steamapps/sourcemodels

Also they're in tf/models/props_movies on my pc so idk why no1 can find em or am i wrong?

The problem is that they are NOT in the TF2 main GCF, where all the game's files are in, and since not everyone has the sdk installed (let alone set to download SDK content for TF2), not everyone will have the models.

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Ye soz bout mutiple comments peeps wont happen agen :(

We need to contact valve about making all these models optmized but on the lighter side optimized camper in dl section

Last edited:

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
Contact Valve for what?

I am a little sad--I figured that the camper was obviously going to be a resource eater (not that Floodgates would've had any use for it) but the bobbleheads and mug were nice for some of the eyecandy scenes I had created and I figured those were small enough to not effect anything much. Oh well, no big deal or anything, I can remove them just as easily and wait for more optimized versions to come.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Im still quite surprised that there isnt a map on fpsb yet that has all those objects in. Its the place where i would have expected such map to come within 2 hours after that blog post.

In reply to jonah below: ctf_2fort_orange_x3_with_sniper_props_and_robot

Last edited:

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sadly I learned this the hard way...

Youme, you should use your special email powers to tell Valve about their forgetting to put the models in the TF2 GCF. :p

So we can force people to download these massive mothers incase anyone makes a map (which according to the info on the OP, shouldn't happen.) including them? :facepalm:;)

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Well i beleive someone opped the van however they all need to be opped as the bullet holes on the sign are soo round they take up loads of mushy mappy bits :(

Feb 14, 2008
Well i beleive someone opped the van however they all need to be opped as the bullet holes on the sign are soo round they take up loads of mushy mappy bits :(

Can't you make sense and use punctuation?

:(

500th post

:)

gamemaster1996

Sep 30, 2009
Okay news flash they're all op'ed in the model download section.

I now hale that person :)

And sorry for any mis-spellings

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008

Actually, those holes are not made of mesh, but merely transparent parts in the texture. Meaning they don't take up any mushy mappy bits. A very clever trick from someone at Valve (who knows what he/she is doing). I didn't even have to reduce polygons, as the sign only had 116 to begin with.

But why is this thread still being debated?!? If you want to use the Sniper's Assets props, [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=10334"]go download my pack[/ame] and have your way with it!

Last edited: