32 wips, only 8 entries. Help me out here.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
You guys raise a lot of valid points here, and suggestions. Between this and the 'community spirit' thread, I'm actually having trouble trying to organize all of the information, lol. For now however, I really appreciate your comments. It's an immense help to hear these kinds of things. I'll post a proper response/summary once I've sorted everything.

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
I was asked to post here, but I don't see much of the point to be honest. I don't have much of the opinion about the community goes forward. (I've read most the the two threads to get an understanding of your concerns about it).

I entered the contest with Boondoggle, got stuck and needed help. Now, I knew ahead of time around December 15th, that I would have no time to map again until the end of the year, So I did ask again for help on the forum. I also did ask in chat, but was either ignored or just turned away (because my problem wasn't a 'big deal'.)

Took till a week before the contest deadline was up, that till Midel and I just gave up trying fixes. Its been a technical problem that neither of us had the knowledge to correct. I don't care if I get retrofit into the whole contest or not. It is NOT an issue anymore. I just want to release my first working map for beta testing, but I can't do much about it without some community help.

Last edited:

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
Plus you got VALVe's interest based on the competition, I'd say that's a pretty damn good accomplishment!
is this true?
i looked around the forum but couldn't find any other reference to this.
just wanted to know for sure

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
Good thing I checked this thread before going to bed! Just submitted the file and details: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=47066#post47066.

It's a beta and needs work, but I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Thanks for the exception Immortal-D, I really appreciate it. :wow:

So you don't think I'm taking my beef into the public without trying the proper channels, I messaged a number of admins the day before yesterday and yesterday (and one of them was online at the time) and have yet to get any response.

I hate to complain, but its been two days since Immortal said I could turn in my map, pl_vipersden_b1, a bit late on the 15th (would be the 9th submission) and no action has been taken to include it. It was actually done on the 14th and could have been submitted. I am a busy person and was confused (understandibly I think), by the contest requirments saying the deadline was the 15th, when it was actually the 14th at 11:59 pm. I agree I should have read the requirement a bit carefully, but then I should not have been told it was OK to submit it late.

I have a lot more to say, but I don't want to get this thread too far off topic. If you care, check out this thread: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=47272#post47272

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Compared to the first mapping contest, this one has been a huge success in my eyes. I'm very excited to see whats in store for the next contest.

meatpopsicle

L1: Registered
Nov 9, 2007
I am no super mapper like some here. I've done one *extremely* custom map with all my own textures and half a dozen new props and a dozen or so new decals/signs.

It took me a *year* to finish. I like the contests you run, but in all sincerity amidst my own personal mapping project I've as of yet not had enough time to side-rail my project and do a contest.

Now that my project is done; supposedly I could however even 3 months probably wouldn't cut it for a noob like me.

I think your confused, you got a *high* level of interest and a *very high* level of submissions in the final phase is what I see here.

Your looking through rose colored glasses of mappers who have ability and time to crank out a map in 1-2 months.. thats extremely rare.

Hopefully my 'other-sight' can help you think differently, I do not see whats gone on here as any sort of failure.

peace

meatpopsicle

Aug 19, 2008
you got a point there

i found myself often at the crossroad between giving it up and putting more time into it, i´m glad i did the last one ^^

but yeah, you gotta spend an immense amount of time putting a decent map together and giving other things up is quite a big sacrifice

i luv the submissions, the community did a great job, so instead of arguing why it´s "only" 8 submission, we should be thankful that it´s not only 7 of them :)

(excuse my bad english, i´m a tired german about to go to sleep)

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
I agree, 8 maps is really a lot. I wonder what the combined time spent working on those maps is? I wonder what the combined time spent working on all the WIPs is?

I bet it's a lot. Props to anyone who got even half way through making a map because of this contest, and the people who ended up with a decent, playable map deserve a big congratulations regardless of if they win the competition.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Here's what I've taken away thus far;

Given the time and effort required, 8 mostly functional maps is pretty good.
For something as complex as a payload map, more time/reminders/information would be good.
Need to have more emphasis that this is a friendly competition for the sake of itself, to avoid people feeling discouraged by what they perceive as superior entries.