WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I didnt, but since your statement (at least to me) was incorrect on what the problem was i didnt comment on that. But anyway, since i comment on that part again lets give my feedback on why i think you were incorrect there:

Even a spawn for turtles doesnt directly have to give a bad influence, it based on why it exists and where. In a CTF map you want to be able to get enough metal near the intel, on 2fort both upstairs spawns are too far away from that (2x going through the spiral isnt realy what you can call fast. in most ctf/cp/pl maps the walk for metal only a third of that length). Im comparing to maps that have proven to work even though they are in some cases turtle friendly.

A large ammo pack could provide the metal, but it would seriously hinder those that want to build 3 sentries as group of 3. They should still be able to do so, this is a part of teamwork aswel. In 2fort that extra locker is the fastest way to gain metal unhindered. And it is far away enough and at a place where a nest near that locker doesnt work (just below a staircase allows for some easy spam).

Stating turtling is bad in any situation is incorrect. Most A/D type maps force the red team to turtle. For a linear map this can still be the same because turtling can be the only way to defend against a team that is clearly stronger, it might in some cases give you the chance to defend. And this teamwork should still be rewarded. Against better players your nest in 2fort will still die because they can communicate to get 3 medics and 2 demoman ready to invade the area.

2fort only has the worst possible turtling because of that first barrier of a respawn room you already have to face. Thats where the problem starts, not at the bottom. Doublecross even shows a similar situation, except that map has at least some flanking options allowing you to completely avoid the sentry nest near the respawn rooms. In 2fort there isnt such option, there is 1 place only 128HU from the door where a sentry can look at all paths leading to the intel.

And yes, moving the tunnel can be a good thing on that. I will not argue on that (and thats why i didnt put that in the quote), but the lower respawn room is realy there for a reason.

Gangstahwezel

L1: Registered
Aug 22, 2015
I suddenly got the mapping fever again. I made this in 2 days and is going to be called something like koth_eldorado. It is probably a bit generic, but i am proud of it so far.
SO2sjAw.jpg
WejBA3n.jpg

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
For a payload map such raised part near a final cap for a substage could be quite overpowered (playtesting will show if it realy is). If it is overpowered i would replace it with some windows so the vision still remains there. Also, i would recommend a 2nd spawn exit.

Then the middle block again has a ramp helping the defenders. Although i do like that in the idea, i see some potential hazards there. But if possible i would try to keep it that way. Just be sure that it cant be used watch all entrances of blue. As specificly that lower section near could be used as counter, but at the same time gives red a huge height advantage.

The higher block where the stairs are on the blue side will probably not become a major holding ground, but it surely will help. I like that one aswel.

I think its an interesting area to play on.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Of course there will be second spawn exit. Also I have to give blu third entrance with some height advantage

Simulacron

L-3: Simulated Member
aa
Feb 17, 2016
I suddenly got the mapping fever again. I made this in 2 days and is going to be called something like koth_eldorado. It is probably a bit generic, but i am proud of it so far.
SO2sjAw.jpg
WejBA3n.jpg
From where did you get this awesome drill?

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Somehow pipes never feel out of the place or useless ingame but when you think about them they make no sense most of the time

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
Somehow pipes never feel out of the place or useless ingame but when you think about them they make no sense most of the time

Why? You know,they're,well... PIPES.

They can transport gas,liquids... no objects sadly. damn you portal. I think they make a lot of sense 100% of the time.

Well... MAYBE 99%.

Sep 7, 2012
Corvatile, I'd say that that room is in the realm of "overdetailed" as it is right now. The pipes add a lot of visual noise that probably isn't necessary - taking out a few of your props would probably be a good idea. If you're worried that the room will feel to sparse, you might try adding some stain/spill overlays on the floor - they do a good job of mixing things up without clashing too much.

The corner to the left of the door is especially noisy, and draws the eye away from the doorway, which is probably more important.

ммα | ∂αиỉєℓ

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2015
So i've been working on 2fort on and off again. Been making some progess
Elevatording.png
Made the courtyard 10% more spooky with a pumpkin

Intel.png
Changed the intel room a bit

Spiral.png
The spiral tunnel thing changed into a super secret staircase (don't tell anyone) it's also attached to the tunnel on ground level instead of right next to the spawn

Tunnel.png
Made the tunnel/hallway a bit wider and more art filled

Turtle room.png
Turtle room2.png
Changed the room (hayloft) in terms of art, but I also closed of the access to the spiral tunnel as said before.

We are making some progress. This map is also going to include some spooky skeletons and magic spells. This will require some playtests however as i'm seeing some good things to come from this but also some bad, we'll see.

Malachite Man

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 16, 2015
ммα | ∂αиỉєℓ so your going to make a manor version of 2fort I'm instersed to see what the Intel room would like and also if there's going to be a underworld am also very instersed to see how that would look the map is looking good with manor props I can't even tell that the insides look like the 2fort insides so good work so far :jimijam: