Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Striped Upwards for Halloween Reskin
GxnF7rF.jpg

Pr73dYa.jpg

I started like 2 hours ago.
I'm aiming to finish this by this year's mid September and it will be my first map.
I gave myself LONG time so that I can actually finish it or even add additional gameplay like the one in Helltower.

Ok, I got a small update(maybe rather big) on this one.
As I was taking parts down, editing geometry and adding props, I noticed how convoluted the way Valve makes a map is.
It is really hard to edit since
1. 90% of the geometry is a one big func_detail. Good for optimizing with some help from hints and area portal but it causes my hammer to crash whenever I accidently click it twice.
2. The walls are double-layered. The inside layer is a world brush and the outside layer is a func_detail. Thanks to this I have to edit twice as much. (or that's how it feels like)
3. Brushes are quite messy. In terms of optimizing, it shouldn't be any problem because it is also func_detail. But it becomes pain in my ass when I try to move one simple brush 8 hammer units right because it then interferes with another brush, which also interferes again.

HOWEVER, I am not giving this project up.
I am making the whole thing from scratch.
It should help me because then, I will have complete control over everything.
It will be quite a journey :)

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
1. 90% of the geometry is a one big func_detail. Good for optimizing with some help from hints and area portal but it causes my hammer to crash whenever I accidently click it twice.

Valve (hopefully) doesn't actually map like this, it's just a byproduct of decompiling.

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I hope so too. Although apparently valve have tendency of making a fine brush into a func_detail.(not sure if they group it all together or not)

ммα | ∂αиỉєℓ

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2015
Kinda got inspired by Asd417 and his upward project, and I decided to do one of my own. It's going to be a halloween version of 2Fort. Still on the fence about calling it BooFort or SpookFort. Besides a reskin i'm also working on some gameplay changes to spice this old map up a bit. Taken some ideas from TFC just to see how they turn out in TF2.

map1.jpg

map2.jpg

map3.jpg

map4.jpg

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
honestly that remake seems really bad

like its just messy and full of poorly-telegraphed one-way routes

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
honestly that remake seems really bad

like its just messy and full of poorly-telegraphed one-way routes
Looking again, I'm noticing that too. Maybe people can use that as a guide to how not to balance it.
I like the idea of being able to get out of water easily though.
Edit: Some part of the remake is nice change I think, such as widening up some of the corridors

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The easiest fixes for 2fort would be to close off the extra resupply room in the basement — which only exists to benefit turtles — and move the top of the spiral to emerge in on the ground floor instead of the hayloft, so as not to funnel players past the enemy spawn. It's a good start.

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
The easiest fixes for 2fort would be to close off the extra resupply room in the basement — which only exists to benefit turtles — and move the top of the spiral to emerge in on the ground floor instead of the hayloft, so as not to funnel players past the enemy spawn. It's a good start.
How about the flag room? IMO, there should be one more sneaky entrance.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
The easiest fixes for 2fort would be to close off the extra resupply room in the basement
That still isnt a good fix. The reason 2fort has problems is because you have to get past a area just outside of the enemy spawnroom twice!

The main spawn exit can reach all primary paths in only 512HU. 1 sentry can overlook both entrances to the intel room. This is a bottleneck that is simply hazardous and the way to fix it is by being able to flank past them. And this is especialy noticed because the respawntime is faster than it takes players to reach the intel and walk back. So you have to face the same enemies twice.

For that both the main and basement spawn should be removed so you are only left with the battlements spawn, or the 1 way exit. This instantly prevents the main enemy entrance from being reached fast (the outside area on the right of the main spawn). But this still will not fix the '1 sentry can overlook both'. It only makes the walk longer to reach it (by only like 2 seconds when creating a direct path, or by about 10-15 seconds when not having one). However, as there is no infinite ammo supply there, getting your nest on that exact spot can be made harder. And to at least provide ammo during calm moments you can place a large ammo pack at the bottom.

Note that even in such case the sentry nest can be a major hazard, put when combat goes on for longer where the engy has a hard time to reach metal you are more likely to overtake them. This is shown on multiple valve maps where for example the gravelpit roof is many times camped by sentries and dispensers. You can create that same situation. And ofcourse, underskilled players cant take it out, but for good players it at least doesnt get into a frustration point. And once taken out, engineers cant take a direct path to that area. they already need to get past the battlements (risky) or take the same detour as attackers would take themselve. Once the area is lost you suddenly become at the disadvantage there.

The center of 2fort, even though its a sniper fest, isnt that bad. A decent player can quite easily find ways to get past it, especialy since even in a 3v3 sniper battle, they distract each other enough. But to be able to get out of the water will still be a welcome addition to prevent the long sewer path from becoming a pain. But those slopes in those videos are just ugly and feel completely out of place. For that widening the water section and having the slopes go in a L shape could already work nicely. or maybe just have the ctf_turbine approach of slopes. Never force players to take a sharp U turn on slopes, it forces them to look at the path more than at the combat that is going and this isnt a good thing and only anoys players when they die.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That still isnt a good fix. The reason 2fort has problems is because you have to get past a area just outside of the enemy spawnroom twice!
I like how you clearly literally stopped reading my post right where you cut off my quote.