The "2D Skybox" texture

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pocket, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Pocket

aa Pocket I can fix it!

Positive Ratings:
    ...is showing my 3D skybox.

Am I doing it wrong, or something?

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Top Quacker

Positive Ratings:
    Can you explain a bit more about what is going on?

3. Pocket

aa Pocket I can fix it!

Positive Ratings:
    I have a 3D skybox with stuff in it. I have a skylight with a tools/toolsskybox2d. If I look at said skylight in-game, I can see the stuff I placed in the 3D skybox. I was under the impression that that was contrary to the purpose of that texture.

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I think 2D and 3D skybox textures can't be used in the same Veiw...thingy. I forget the technical term, but basically you have to never be able to see them both at the same time, in vvis terms. Same as with two levels of water: it's only possible if you can't see both at once.

EDIT: PVS https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/PVS

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You can see 2 levels of water in any one area, they just can't both be expensive materials.

6. Freyja

aa Freyja Creating visual gameplay since 2007

Positive Ratings:
    Are you sure about that? I'm quite sure I've done it in the past. Although, that would explain the funny natur eof it.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket I can fix it!

Positive Ratings:
    By gum, you're right. I found the page in the developer wiki on tool textures, and that's what it said.

Although I swear some of my 2D skybox textures are nowhere near my regular ones. Am to assume the problem chains, as in a 2D skybox texture can't be in the same PVS as another 2D skybox texture that was in the same PVS as a regular one, either?

8. henke37

henke37 L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think the engine just doesn't consider the stuff in the 3d skybox visible when looking thru a 2d skybox brush. But the stuff will still draw if another brush says that the 3d skybox is visible. The engine either sees the 3d skybox or it does not.