1. Hey Guest, welcome to the new forums. Be sure to check out this thread to get all the information you need on the cool new stuff!

Request: Bridges/walkways?

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Draco18s, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently my Googlefu is weak tonight. I'm wondering if someone can help me locate...things.

I'm trying to find some wood structures that have already been made--either official and in the model browser, or custom and free-to-use.

The desire is for a walkway that would act as a short bridge and ramp. Two or more models are fine, I just know the space I'm trying to fit it into. Stairway up along a wall, then a bridge over to a ledge (brushwork).

The reason I'm looking for a model, over doing it with brushes, is because of the look and feel of the pre-made wooden structures that already exist. Upward's little loop-de-loo has a model for the base, for example.

Anyway, if models like that already exist, I have no idea what they'd be called.

Here's the spot. Still early in the brushwork in the area, and I was just thinking about ease-of-access to the high-ground for Red. I could easy flip/rotate the ledges that are on the left such that it's more convenient for red (i.e. the sheer cliff facing Blue spawn, rather than red) but I figured I'd look into an alternate approach.
    [​IMG]

2. Freyja

aa Freyja Unpronounceable map names since 2013

Thanks Received:
    Something like this is much easier done with brushwork than models. I reccomend you look at some other maps to see how they do it.

3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR I do things sometimes.

Thanks Received:
    brush work and instances...

awwwwwwwwwwwww yea

4. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Thanks Received:
    Brushwork is doable, yes, I was just curious if there were any bridge-type models already in existence.

5. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Thanks Received:
    People don't really make bridge models like that just because. They're all built for very specific purposes. I highly doubt the bridge you want exists already. Just make it in brushes.

6. stevethepocket

aa stevethepocket I can fix it!

Thanks Received:
    I'm almost positive one exists — in cp_ironworks. You name a structure that should have been brushwork but isn't; that map's got it.

In all seriousness though, yes, brushwork is pretty much the only way to go unless you somehow hit the ceiling of allowable brushes and/or t-juncts. Given that you're just getting started, you've got a long way to go before that happens.

7. Freyja

aa Freyja Unpronounceable map names since 2013

Thanks Received:
    t-juncts are easy to get around. func_brush and func_lod and func_illusionary are just as useful as func_detail, there's no need to make them into models.

8. grazr

aa grazr Mmm, hhhyes. indubitably.

Thanks Received:
    Just be aware that these don't let stickies stick to them, so don't use them for large surfaces. Do them for beams/trusses players wont think of placing stickies or sentries.

9. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Thanks Received:
    Or do it and put a clip structure the same shape as the func_brush. I'm pretty sure that works as well.

Freyja thanked this.
  10. Empyre

Empyre L4: Comfortable Member

Thanks Received:
    If you get The Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack, you can browse the included prop library for official models. If you find one to your liking, you can simply copy-and-paste. However, if what you're looking for was in there, these mapping pros would probably know about it. Still, it is worth while to get that resource pack.

11. xzzy

aa xzzy

Thanks Received:
    Sawmill introduced a handful of model-based staircases that could be used for something like this. I'm not sure any of them are big enough to work for the example in the OP however.