[WiP] ctf_hammerhead

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Okay, I'm finally done with the outdoors for version a2 (the fences you see here are still placeholders though, I'm planning on turning these into cliffs at a later stage - they are non-passable though, so it's not a gameplay change).

I'm still fine-tuning the lighting into the bases and fixing a couple of misaligned props, so you can expect a new version in the coming hours.

hh14.jpg

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
About those ladders, How about an elevator? Elevator's seem to fit in the TF2 world a bit better.

And if your trying to do a sun set for the sky box, more orange, less purple.

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not trying to do anything with the skybox anymore, I found this one by Shini that admirably suits me. Starry night, here I come! :D

Regarding the ladder, I made some modifications to have a regular slope instead (didn't screen it and only mentioned it in the update log, so you couldn't have known). I may add an elevator somewhere else at a later point, though (where there's currently a small orange rooftop). Not sure yet, it really depends on what kind of fancy cliffwork I can come up with to offer an alternate way down.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Oh, sorry about the skybox, I was looking at your original pics, put then I was the latter one and they look great!

Oh, and I can't tell if you did or not, but put some space between the end of your map (player clips) and the sky box. In some of your pics your skybox looks way too close to the map and it looks kinda funny.

PS. It might be my ocd kicking in, but could you please turn off the hud for you screenshots. Its driving me bonkers! Like a scout on bonk!

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, I'll do the HUD-off thing later, I'm jsut too lazy to do it for WiP pics. Or maybe sooner, I don't want you to suffer brain damage :D

Regarding map edges, it really is an alpha version, so I didn't bother with anything outside of gameplay area. I will not leave it that way, don't worry ;)

KarmaKaze

L2: Junior Member
Dec 14, 2008
I love the look of this map...very cool.
I know you probably saw this in game, but there is a problem of being able to get on top of at least the red base (if not both bases) and not being able to get back off. Seems to be an invisible you get behind....I saw a demo putting stickies in midair up there.

I noticed a couple of people get stuck between the big rocks and the wall up top. I had a hard time jumping on some of the rock steps up top too.

There is no love for snipers on this map...which is ok by me. But you might want to open up some areas just a little. Feels a little cramped at times...need a couple of spots where the player can maneuver. Maybe some of the up top area can open up....I liked the cramped feeling of the bases.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
the bases, especially near the flag, are incredibly spammy...probably due to cramped corridors and forcing the teams to walk past 2 of the enemy spawn exits

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Thansk for the feedback, it's appreciated :)

I know you probably saw this in game, but there is a problem of being able to get on top of at least the red base (if not both bases) and not being able to get back off. Seems to be an invisible you get behind....I saw a demo putting stickies in midair up there.
Mh no, I didn't see that :s Player clipping is only temporary anyways, I'll have to pay more attention next time.

I noticed a couple of people get stuck between the big rocks and the wall up top.
Absolutely, bad pre-release testing on my part. The wall will be gone in the next version so that should solve the problem entirel, as well as your request for more open areas ;)

I had a hard time jumping on some of the rock steps up top too.
My fault again, I changed some elevations at the last minute and didn't properly test them. I will lower the steps.

the bases, especially near the flag, are incredibly spammy...probably due to cramped corridors and forcing the teams to walk past 2 of the enemy spawn exits
One major factor was Boojum's sentry spot. It will be entirely removed (the catwalk will be made Soldier-only). Another factor is, as you noticed, the two spawn exits - I will change the spawn so that it only has one exit, and possibly increase respawn times as well (I didn't feel like I waited at all). I will also "decramp" the barrel corridor by removing most of said barrels so that it is more easily walkable.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I like this layout much better than the last time I played it!

I got stuck between the rocks and the support walls as well, but I don't think you should remove them. They looked nice, and they work well for gameplay too (walking on top of them gives you a nice height advantage). Just fill the "holes" where you get stuck with playerclips instead.

There are too many doors in the base. They're incredibly annoying and they make it hard to judge what's coming up, not to mention they add to the cramped feeling. I think you should remove the doors into the intel room at the very least, if not also the entrances to the base.

The tunnel needs more elbow room. It's very narrow, and you can't really run from anyone. As a Spy, I initially found this path to be the best because there weren't usually that many people there, but if I met an enemy there while I was cloaked, I couldn't really move effectively out of the way, or slip by silently.

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
I got stuck between the rocks and the support walls as well, but I don't think you should remove them. They looked nice, and they work well for gameplay too (walking on top of them gives you a nice height advantage). Just fill the "holes" where you get stuck with playerclips instead.
Actually I'm not removing them because people get stuck in them, but because a number of players told me they looked repetitive. I'll put them in an obsolete visgroup for now, so I can bring them back later if I need to.

There are too many doors in the base. They're incredibly annoying and they make it hard to judge what's coming up, not to mention they add to the cramped feeling. I think you should remove the doors into the intel room at the very least, if not also the entrances to the base.
In any case, I will not remove the doors at the entrances. I had a private test version without any doors at all and people didn't like it. I'll think about the intel doors though (maybe I could make them transparent doors?).

The tunnel needs more elbow room. It's very narrow, and you can't really run from anyone. As a Spy, I initially found this path to be the best because there weren't usually that many people there, but if I met an enemy there while I was cloaked, I couldn't really move effectively out of the way, or slip by silently.
I'll see if I can add a small side hole in the middle of it. I'm probably not going to enlarge them, as people who like open spaces should use the outside routes. You do'nt complain that the 2fort sewers are too narow :p