[WIP]cp_timber

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I took screenshots of nearly the same things, but no need to post them twice (or beat a dead horse for that matter). I'm sure the visibility will improve when this map improves.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks to all for the comments. I think my next version will be beta, so that means it will look wayyy better.

Thanks for the screenshots, but I didn't really work on the looks of it just yet. I didn't realize that people want alphas to look much better. My thinking is just that I shouldn't spend too much time with texturing, displacements, etc, if that certain thing might not be there in the next version (only my thinking during alpha)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks to all for the comments. I think my next version will be beta, so that means it will look wayyy better.

Thanks for the screenshots, but I didn't really work on the looks of it just yet. I didn't realize that people want alphas to look much better. My thinking is just that I shouldn't spend too much time with texturing, displacements, etc, if that certain thing might not be there in the next version (only my thinking during alpha)

Yeah, I just figured since that place had already been textured and stuff, it was just to draw your attention to it for when you release the beta, so you dont miss anything :)

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
some screenshots of I've what I've been working on. Yes, the next version is going to be beta, which is why this is taking so long. I will probably release beta1 next week.

The death pit

Blu's spawn

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
It's a nice map to play on. I enjoyed it!
Only thing is that C is very hard to cap. Maybe some more obstacles or less open?

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
Cap C is quite difficult indeed, not sure how to change that though. Caps A and B, on the other hand, may be a bit to easy. At least the distance between these two should be increased (so that the attacking team has to make a choice and can't change their mind at the last moment when facing a tough defense).

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
I had some pretty serious FPS issues, particularly in the blu spawn area.

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
I had some pretty serious FPS issues, particularly in the blu spawn area.

After thinking about it, I realized why. There is a giant cliffrock model (to the right) when you come out of blu spawn. It is technically drawing all of Cap A, because there is no nodraw or anything inside the rock model, as models dont block visibility.
Along with other things I realized I can do to optimize, I think it will run better

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
Also, now I realized another reason. That compile was a fast compile in the VIS section. I will try really hard for the next version to compile on normal

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
beta 2 is out: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=967

now it has a fancy intro text and screenshots, just like in the valve maps!:thumbup:

for anyone hoping that it will be optimized a lot better: I am sorry.
I have realized that the structure of the map is near impossible to optimize enough so that it can compile on normal vis without completely redoing the whole map.
I have done what I can; used skip brushes (finally), paths to each area are not a straight shot, and I put nodraw under more displacements that needed it.hopefully it is optimized a bit better.

This version is compiled on normal rad, HDR, and fast vis. I will just have to live with fast vis for this map

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
a couple of graphical thing i found:

one of the 2 doors from spawn to area B has a small slice of orange dev texture on it.

the light in the passageway leading to the lower entrance into area C is up against the wall at about head height instead of coming the lamp overhead.

i also found i couldn't get out of the water onto the canoe-ramp (the ramp from water up to pointC). and in general climbing out of the water was sometimes very hard on the edges of the water.

other then that, great map. keep working on it

cornontheCoD

Mar 25, 2008
Anybody have any ideas for why this map isn't getting played? is it the gameplay? visuals? Do I need to advertise it more?