[WIP] Arena_Skyline

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
May want to scale that ground texture up a bit, looks repetitive. Also, how about some train tracks for our derailed train?

Dan2025

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2008
Update

Here's an overview of the map.
arena_skyline0057.jpg

arena_skyline0075.jpg

arena_skyline0074.jpg

arena_skyline0073.jpg

Added some windows.
arena_skyline0068.jpg

arena_skyline0067.jpg

arena_skyline0063.jpg

arena_skyline0062.jpg

arena_skyline0065.jpg

arena_skyline0064.jpg

Here's a better look at the bottom. Also added some rocks and a train cart.
arena_skyline0059.jpg

arena_skyline0058.jpg

arena_skyline0071.jpg

arena_skyline0070.jpg

A better look at the train wreck.
arena_skyline0069.jpg

arena_skyline0066.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, do as Vander says and scale up the dirt ground texture, it looks very weird right now.

It's coming along nicely, but it still looks like the middle buildings couldn't possibly be held up like that. You need to add some sort of supports for them, perhaps a third skyscraper going from the bottom up to the middle room?

The skybox looks like it's in the middle of a giant pool of quicksand. Surreal, but there's nothing wrong with that, right?

Dan2025

Aug 29, 2008
Ehhhh...I don't know about the texture thing. The main reason I have it small is so that it can be placed next to the the texture in the playable area and be seamless. If I increase the size of the texture in the skybox I'll have to increase the size of the texture in the playable area, and it'll way be over my head to find two different sizes which nonetheless go together inside and outside the skybox.

Besides, I am currently in the possess of trying to fix the skybox after I messed everything up while trying to expand the playable area so the shadows of all the buildings wouldn't be cut off.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Ehhhh...I don't know about the texture thing. The main reason I have it small is so that it can be placed next to the the texture in the playable area and be seamless. If I increase the size of the texture in the skybox I'll have to increase the size of the texture in the playable area, and it'll way be over my head to find two different sizes which nonetheless go together inside and outside the skybox.

I don't get why they have to be different sizes. Won't it work to just increase the height and width of the ground textures - both inside and outside - from whatever you have now (.25?) to .75 or 1 or something?

Dan2025

Aug 29, 2008
It was my understanding that it wouldn't work like that since everthing in the skybox is multiplied by 16. If you have 16 (The play area) and 1 (The skybox area during editing), and you add 10 to both, then you end up with 26, and 11. But the 11 then gets multiplied by 16 when in gameplay, so you really end up with 26 and 176. Which won't exactly work.

Or, at least that is what I thought.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Oh, I get what you mean. Yeah, that sounds just about right, but it shouldn't be a problem. Now, I have never tested this, but I think it should work: Just make sure that when you increase the size of the texture inside - if you multiply it by, say, three, then multiply the texture outside with three too.

If the inside texture is 16, the outside should be 1.
If the inside texture is 32, the outside should be 2.
If the inside texture is 64, the outside should be 4.

...See what I mean? Seems very logical to me. But, as I said, I'm not sure if it works, so more experienced mappers can spare me the "duh" comments. :p

Dan2025

Aug 29, 2008
Update?

Well THIS thread has fallen out of use. The only thing keeping it alive were my constant updates anyway.

I've decided that there were many flaws in the previous version of skyline, and as a result I've decided to remake it entirely:

One of the biggest problems was that it was so tall really. I intend to make it shorter this time. With this newly adjusted height I should be able to make more artistic additions that severely limited the previous one. The buildings are so tall, and really the designers intended to have much smaller buildings, and buildings such as skyscrapers have from the start only found use in 3d skyboxes and other decorations. I plan to shorten the height aspect to that of a 'normal' building that is featured in gameplay.

Also noteworthy is that, with the player being so far up, the horizon in the skybox horizon was significantly higher (the horizon seems to always be straight ahead of the camera view--never lower), which caused everything below the horizon to be smeared and messed up, which is why I was always creating 3d skyboxes that left the player with the feeling he was in a giant crater or sinkhole.

Another problem was that it just seemed so unlikely that two companies would go through the process of making really big skyscrapers that connected, and then start to fight over them. I plan to fix this by having the whole map look like the same building (probably gray. If not, then blue) with each side of the map looking like each team has recently taken it over and has begun to claim territory (in other words, each side will be designed the same, but with things like graffiti, posters, overturned tables/other furniture, and things like that showing who is in real control)

Here's the plan for the new layout for bases. (NOTE: Though no staircase/ramp leading from the inside to the top of the base is shown, I do still intend to have such a feature. I'm not going to have the entire map fought indoors)

Skyline_model.png

•Blue is the outside of the building.

• Green is interior.

• The red cylinders are large pipes which will run underneath the 'bridges'

• Purple is the ground.

With the lowered hieght, and addition of pipes and stuff, I'm considering changing the name to arena_wetworks and having the theme be oil drilling or something else like that, which makes me wonder if I should make a new thread. :confused:

I also believe that I will take up the updating-the-first-post method of WIP threads...if I ever get around to actually working on this map. I really want to make this map, I really do. I haven't heard or played of a map for TF2 like it, and I believe it can go places. This is why I'm not giving up.

Anyway, hope everything works out!

PS: If you guys want, I could upload the map as is. I intend to remake it, but all the geographical aspects should, for the most part, remain. So testing it now should still allow for any problems with the futures version's layout to be discovered.