What's going on with the (now OFFICIAL) Team Fortress Wiki?

Nov 14, 2009
Thats what I thought.

What a douche, and possible illegal. Doesnt that count as insider information?

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Unethical, perhaps, but I can't really see how the domain sale would be illegal.

And if the buyer is one of those stupid domain-squatters with the page-o-ads, I will not shed any tears.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
WTF?

Is this guy legit?

Yeah, Smash said a lot bout this guy. He is a real Douche, don't be fooled. He done nothing to help the running of the wiki, for most of the past year or so It has only been Smashman, until he added some new moderators. Asking VALVe to pay so much money for a wiki is unreasonable, and filling it with ad's isn't going to help peoples opinions of you. Also, the in-text adverts were removed when the wiki became official, FYI. Thats the only reason he removed them. They were put up about a month or so ago, I remember smashman complaining in vent.

Nov 14, 2009
Damn, I knew I should have screenied it.

A guy claimed to be the old owner of TF2 wiki, and says that none of the other admins told him about the move to Valve. He claims that he knew nothing about the valve move, until 2 days before the blog post.

Furthermore, the person who "bought" it for $70,000 disappeared, and he ended up selling it for much less to a different one of the bidders.

En Ex

L1: Still Registered
aa
Jun 30, 2010
HarriL knew damn well we were planning on making the Wiki official, considering we told him Valve was interested in it. He wanted money for it, Valve said no.

He sold it without informing the buyers of the separate, new, official wiki. I don't have all the details on what happened with that, though I do know it was reported and I think it may have been dealt with.

I will reiterate, though, the Wiki staff have never received money for their work, and never will. We had nothing to do with the auction or sale.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Thanks to En Ex for promoting me to custom maps moderator on the wiki. Cool stuff.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
HarriL knew damn well we were planning on making the Wiki official, considering we told him Valve was interested in it. He wanted money for it, Valve said no.

He sold it without informing the buyers of the separate, new, official wiki. I don't have all the details on what happened with that, though I do know it was reported and I think it may have been dealt with.

I will reiterate, though, the Wiki staff have never received money for their work, and never will. We had nothing to do with the auction or sale.

While this is an important declaration, I think we should move away from that discussion and just work to improve the wiki for our use and new comers alike. It will help keep the game alive for many more years to come.