Vladivostok

Martham112

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2009
Well, it used to be more complicated, but people were telling me that it was too complex for a map it's size, so I removed two side buildings. There are several tunnels, like one through the cap point and the wooden bridges. The metal rooves have an enterable area and the team coloured buildings have access to the balcony.

To understand the complexity, you really need to either run around it, or see it in play. I'll try and get it into a gameday this weekend.

Martham112

May 6, 2009
I've been playing about with both details and lighting recently, and I'm not sure on these lights at all. I need opinions from everyone here! Also a sneak peak at the next version too!
arena_vladivostok_a60000.jpg

arena_vladivostok_a60001.jpg

arena_vladivostok_a60002.jpg

So that lighting. What do you think?

Aug 10, 2009
1) Less yellow
2) More dramatic would be nicer (consider making it at night)
3) To my other point: Complexity is understandable, but I would strive for a unique and fin layout that separated your map from the others, it just looked a little generic.

Martham112

May 6, 2009
Thanks for the responce. It's nice to finally get one!

1) Well that's what I was asking for opinions on. So I'll make the yellow a bit less yellow, but I still want a warmish colour. Would orange or red be better or simply paler yellow?

2) That's the Pipeline skybox, so...it is at night.

3) Did you run around the map to form that opinion? I feel that the layout is unique enough to be considered it's own. Which maps in particular does it remind you of?

Aug 10, 2009
Guilty as charged, I haven't run around it. I can't arbitrarily say its basic, but from looking at the overview/overhead you have in the screenshots at the top it looks like a donut ;)

I would try the swamp theme night skybox and try mixing that with darker light for a more contrasted effect. I'd try to go for a yellow-white "cream" color seems to be the most warm-friendly. I'd check out pipeline's lights to see the hue if you want to.

EDIT: Oh and a 3D skybox would help a lot.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Thanks for the responce. It's nice to finally get one!

Don't be too disheartened, there are a lot of maps around and it can be hard to get noticied. Just keep going and eventually you will start to get some decent feedback.

Martham112

May 6, 2009
The 3D Skybox will probably be the first thing I do in the transition to beta, so you can expect that in several months perhaps? We'll see how it all goes when the time comes. I'll try the Swamp Skybox, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

And cream lights, I'll try it.

Martham112

May 6, 2009
Updated to a6!

What's new? Lots of details!
That's pretty much it to be honest. Got one of the Swampy Skyboxes now and fixed lighting for that.

Thanks to the Swamp team for the skybox and the SPHinx for his wonderful overlays!

SPHinx

Aug 29, 2009
This may want to wait until it gets tested again. Looking at the overview shot, it does seem like snipers may have no place to go. You might consider adding a crow's nest tower at some or all 4 corners of the map. Give them each a couple of windows to snipe out of or be sniped/rocketed through.

And it might make more sense to build a little detail office room behind the spawn for the wall_map.mdl.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Last edited:

tehn

Oct 16, 2009
for the longest time I did notice this *slaps face* i'm going to have to download.

Martham112

May 6, 2009
Well I've been working a lot on the detail outside the map so far and it's almost in an acceptable state for another release. The lighting is a bit bleck at the moment and some details need ironing out. Not sure if it'll be a7 or b1 though. I don't think it's detailed enough for a beta.

Sep 12, 2008
So no one has any comments they'd like to share? Well done community. You've outdone yourself.

Most comments are given while playtesting, during gameday. You can't expect everyone to post his or her thoughts in the map threads. Just make sure you're there during the playtesting of your map and listen and read well.