Visable Underwater

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Hagan, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Hagan

Hagan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Im trying to setup a underwater room that has a exit below into the water. I use Carve to fit the room in the water brush. The problem that i run into is i end up with difference 5 water brushes what have this effect.

1. Under water it looks just fine
    [​IMG]

2. Until you reach another different brush or when you're completely out of water.
    [​IMG]

3.Effect when shooting above water
    [​IMG]

Huge thanks to anyone who can help me.

2. Paria

Paria L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    do you have a skybox that surrounds the entire level - it looks like when the view is changing you are seeing the sky through the hole?

if so try making the skybox into an upside down U something like |-| to cover the level and seal off the "secret room" with other world geometry

edit - mspaint to the rescue

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    water can only have ONE face to it.

so if you apply water to one side, you can not have water on any other side of a 6 sided brush.

4. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I take it the second entrance is lower than the first.

This will not work. Contiguous expensive water can only have one horizontal level.

5. Ze Inspector

Ze Inspector L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    This has to do with water levels in the Potentialy Visibility Set

In short, you can have multiple water levels in your map, just not in view of one another.
    I would also recommend against carving in this case, your water brush can certainly overlap other brushes and this is often necessary when trying to fit water in complex areas. Just be sure to seal it in with nodraw brushes along the outside.

Lastly, do you have any leaks? The effects depicted in your screenshots look like they might have to do with a leaked map. Water won't look right until your map has no holes.

6. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Correct. Just trying to KIS to avoid confusion.

7. TotalMark

TotalMark L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had a problem like this once, it was as simple as the water brush not being deep enough.

Looked exactly the same.